• Creator
    Topic

Brian Cloose
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ca$haway
    Engines: 6BTA-370

Hello. Looking at a new boat with 6CTA. Been researching on this website but looking for advice. (I have a 5.9 6bta, not familiar with 6CTA). Looking on Quickserve some numbers don’t match. Concerned about valve/valve seat. Any help appreciated.
    SN 46353945
    Cpl 8089
    Thanks in advance
    Brian

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Keith Giller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riv. 43
    Engines: Cummins 450 Diamond

6CTA

I have the same motors. Treat them well and they’ll out live you. Arguably the best mechanical motors Cummins has made. I lost a transmission because my Hynautics we’re slipping but solved the problem with new Glendinning electronic controls. Good luck.

Brian Cloose
    Participant

Thanks Steve. That’s exactly what I needed to know.
    Brian

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

The head/Valve seat issue was with the 480CE or 6CTA8.3M4 I have those. You are looking at the Diamond 450 which is the 6CTA8.3M3 Great engine as long as it has been cared for.

Cooler maintenance and all of the normal things that are well documented on this site. Including proper propeller loading of the engine and then proper operation.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/propping-cummins-6cta-8-3-480ce-vs-430450-diamond-engine/

Brian Cloose
    Participant

Thanks Steve. I’m primarily concerned with valve seats. I’m not sure if it applies to the mechanical 8.3 or if it was later. It looks as if Cummins changed the material at some point. If I compare head sn on quick serve with those in the article on Sbmar, the numbers don’t match. No sea trial yet. Getting my ducks in a row. Single engine in a working/gill netter type boat.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

What kind of advice?

I looked up the ESN and see that it is a Diamond 450. Solid engine as long as it has been run nicely and maintained as per the protocols on this site. What exactly do you want to know?

What boat are these in? Assuming twin engines even though only one ESN was given.
    Any maint records?
    Sea Trial yet? Did it make 2700++ WOT?

I also attached an article that you might find helpful and/or interesting

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.