• Creator
    Topic

Mario Boccia
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
    Engines: 6BTA5.9

I have 2001 carver with 2 x  6BTA 5.9 Cummins diesels any tips on how to change the belt on the starboard engine really hard to get to 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I took the question more of an access issue than a “how-to” issue… I couldn’t agree more Tony’s last sentence.

One bonus to a twin screw vessel is that something that is tough to get to on one engine is “usually” much easier to access on the other allowing you to goto school on the easy one.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Changing a Serpenine Belt

A few things attached to give you an idea what what you are dealing with.

Number one is the belt guard needs to be removed–Until that is done, you will  get no place.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/identifying-early-late-style-b-series-belt-wraps/  

All work the same way–You have to bar the “spring idler” over using a 1/2″ drive ratchet to release the belt tension and go from there

Overall, IMO, this “tension/belt wrap system”  is maybe the cleverest & simplest  one ever designed for a marine engine ..   

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Unless someone with the exact same boat/engine combo is here to help, the rest of us are going to need some good pics of what you are dealing with…

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.