• Creator
    Topic

Lee Essay
    Participant

Looking into changing out the alternator on my 6BTA 330.  No current problems but was looking to upgrade it out of preventative maintenance as I believe it is the original from 2000.  I will keep the existing alternator on the boat as a backup since it still works.  My question is the current alternator is the OEM 19SI 105 amps.  I saw you have a 145amp option for a 19Si and wanted to know if there are any negatives or upgrades needed for going with the larger amp output?   

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Lee Essay
    Participant

John,  

A question for you.  Your boat name looks familiar.  Are you running a Nordic Tug?  

Lee Essay
    Participant

John,  Thanks for the feedback on that.  There is a guy in town who is an alternator guru so I may reach out to him on that option.  

Lee

John
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Puffin
    Engines: 270HP 6BTA

Lee,

Regarding your “larger amp output?” question, here’s my experience on a 2006 6BTA 270 HP JWAC.  My original OEM 19SI 105 amp alternator crapped out in 2013.  While I had considered a new, high priced, external regulated, high output Balmar-style alternator, my local alternator guru did a repair putting in a 160 amp stator.  The OEM frame would support up to a 200 amp stator.  Over the years, I’ve had repairs on this original alternator… diodes, trios, regulator, battery posts, broken wires. et al.  After 19 years, 2,800 hours, it is still running strong with the 160 amp stator.  Repair costs to date, half the cost of a Balmar alternator.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.