• Creator
    Topic

Rene Dupuis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Zoey's Adventure
    Engines: 450 Cummins 6 CTA

Getting ready to replace the belts and want to get some hints as to how to remove the cover at the front of the engine?
    Seems that the nuts on the brackets are on the inside of the cover except one?
    Please help.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Any brand oil that meets spec is fine. Most choose Dino oil since itā€™s cheaper and the synthetic. There are lots of good brands and unlike other color engines that specific oil seems to cure an issue here and there Cummins do just fine with plain Dino oil…. Delo, Mobil, Shell Rotella, Valvoline, etc… they all work just fine.

Once it meets spec spend the money on a quality oil filter (fleetguard) and regular oil changes are all you need.

Here is some good reading to answer your question.

Oil brand

Phil

1 user thanked author for this post.

Darren Kinvig
    Participant

6BTA engine oil

Hi. I have read in many forums different opinions about engine oil for the 6bta engine. To be honest it get’s confusing because of everyone’s opinions. I understand that some oils are easier found in some locations than others. Price may be another factor. I can look up recommended specs and find various oils that will match the specs. What oil and viscosity is commonly used in the 6bta engine? synthetic or Dino oils? What are others using, why and their experiences with various oils? Should you use a break in oil on a rebuild? You would think that oil is oil and it shouldn’t matter a whole lot until your engine is in an marine environment. maybe someone (tony) can simply say. Use Royal purple 15w40, or, or ???

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Sounds like you are trying to remove the guard from the brackets instead of unbolting the brackets from the engine…

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.