• Creator
    Topic

pmerklinger59
    Participant

2005 model Qsb 5.9 twin engines on a 23,000 pound express cruiser. I know i am asking alot for these motors but i am wondering if i might be able to lessen their load if i take a little pitch off the props. My question is how much should i take off.

rpm Gph (total)
    2200 25.9
    2400 29.0
    2500 31.5
    2600 35.7
    2800 38.8
    WOT in neutral 3070 both engines
    Engine temp: Port 179/ Starboard 183 at 2500 rpm
    Sping maintenance: Complete raw water service including new port aftercooler and starboard rebuild, servicing of heat exchangers ,new impellers ,coolant and drive belts (all Seaboard marine parts and protocol) Boat seems to cruise well at 2450 rpm and is producing 21.0 mph. The boat is used mostly on weekends and maybe 100 hours per year. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated . Thank you

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

pmerklinger59
    Participant

Removed the props, they are stamped as 22×24. We are having a huge winter snow storm here in Ontario so i wont be able to get them to the prop shop until things are cleaned up.Ā 

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The lesser pitch/cup could make her feel less jumpy around the docks.

pmerklinger59
    Participant

I was wondering, for those who have had pitch removed . Have you noticed a difference in slow speed handling/ maneuvering around the docks. Does the increased rpm make for a quicker response in handling.Ā 

pmerklinger59
    Participant

No harm done, i appreciate all the help and advise that everyone has offered. Will keep you updated as we move forward, thanks again.Ā 

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

That came across wrong

My sentence about posting an answer twice had to do with the website.Ā  When I was typing that last answer I had to submit it 3 times…..Ā  Nothing to do with frustration with you or anyone else.Ā  Just good ole technology not behaving like I thought it should.Ā  I was trying to paste a link to the thread around optimal-cruising and I bet I was doing it wrong.Ā  The UI Control for doing that changed recently.Ā  Not quite sure how it works now.

Let us know how the prop tweaks go for you.Ā  I will be sure to post ours int he spring once we are floating.

pmerklinger59
    Participant

Thank you very much Tony and Steve for allĀ  your responses, Steve it wasn’t my intention to disrespect your post’s and yes i read them and understood them . I was only asking if there maybe anything other than my specs and the Cummins specs that i should provide the prop shop. As far as going with a bigger prop ? I will leave that up to the prop shop, not sure if that would even be possible. I will pass along all the recommendations and update as i find out which way things are proceeding. The prop shop is very well respected here in Ontario and has all the latest technology. Thanks again for all your help.Ā Ā 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

“Is it possible that these motors at 380 hp are just too small for the weight of the boat?”

The answer in most likely NO…………….They just have to propped correctly so they can run properly at their full potential………………….. On the surface without seeing a proper scan of the props you have now,Ā  you need to remove 2.5″ of pitch or some cup or some of each so you enaging hit the governor break poiy of approx 3070 RPM and reach it easy..Ā  Until that happens, you are not respecting what Cummins did for you..Building a world class 5.9 liter electronic engine that, IMO,Ā  has zero competion..Ā 

Tony

Steve Lewis
    Participant

I have tried to post an answer twice…..Ā  Hoping third time is a charm.

You will most likely need to guide them as to what you want done.Ā  Based on my experience and that of others on the forum, prop shops will want to deal with pitch modifications to make rated RPM.Ā  So you would be talking with them about 3100rpm.Ā  Yes that is more than the 3065/3085 electronic gov but that will get them thinking in the correct direction………..

Your goal is 2 fold.Ā  Reduce the cruise rpm fuel burn AND exceed the rated RPM.Ā  Or to put a finer point on it, be at or below 95% load at the gov RPM.Ā  Those 2 goals can be reached by working the pitch for cruise rpm fuel burn.Ā  Based on your previous numbers, you are looking at 3 inches or more to get removed.Ā  You are only reaching 2800 and my assumption is that NOTHING else is wrong.Ā  So not only do you need to account for the short fall in RPM but you will have prop slip to contend with.Ā  Ideally 2 inches would do it but real world is more like 3 inches.Ā  Yours appears to be far enough off that you might need new props.Ā  Not sure but be prepared as that might be one possible outcome of this effort.

Have them do an arrival scan and emailĀ  you the scan report.Ā  The guy I dealt with uses PropScan and he sent me both the arrival scan 23×27 and the departure scan 23×26.Ā  The end result when we put the props back on was that the 29gph burn that WAS at 2200 now is at 2140.Ā  Wrong Way!Ā  I wanted 29gph @2300rpm.Ā  Prop slip.Ā  So I am headed back to have 1 more inch taken out this winter layup.

Moral of this story?Ā  the ~150rpm increase expected by taking the 1 inch out assumes that prop slip is not an issue………Ā  The other thing that the guy said was that we could only take 2 inches out of the props that we have.Ā  Also I had to really explain what I wanted.Ā  He questioned me as he was trained on the whole WOT RPM thing.Ā  Our goal is different but will meet the WOT RPM by definition.

Be prepared to have a conversation with the prop shop.Ā  Also use the search function and search the term “Optimal Cruise”.Ā  Read the thread with that name and you will see a real world example of all of this.

1 user thanked author for this post.

pmerklinger59
    Participant

pulling props

Hi, so i am finally getting to send my props out, other than sending them my performance and Cummins data is there anything else i should provide . Will they know how much pitch to remove? ThanksĀ 

pmerklinger59
    Participant

Thanks for the input Dave, i have been talking to a prop shop here in Ontario, when i pull the boat in a month i can send them the props, i will have them scan and remove as much pitch as possible in hopes that my rpm is acceptable.

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

I had these engines in a 2005 40 Sundancer which had a similar weight and once I got it dialed in it was a great running boat. It did take some discussions with the prop shop to convince them to reduce the pitch. They kept
    saying “that is not what Searay says should be on there”!

pmerklinger59
    Participant

Thanks Steve, when the boat is pulled in about a month for winter storage i will look closer at the props. Is it possible that these motors at 380 hp are just too small for the weight of the boat?

Steve Lewis
    Participant

A little pitch off the props?

Those QSB380’s are 3000rpm engines. you should be able to reach the governed engine rpm of 3065 – 3080 so you are almost 300rpm short of that. Ouch! Tony would say “Grossly overpropped” or something to that effect.

The important info about those props are the diameter and pitch. I am thinking that you need to modify these props so much that you might very well be looking at buying new ones instead of being able to remove enough pitch to get things into specification.

Using some linear interpolation I come up with a burn of ~11.6gph @2500. You are showing 17.1 and 15.4. That is “about” where you state that you cruise. That kind of fuel burn should be at 2800 – 2900 on this engine. So you could be in the 3inch area which could mean new props……..

I would find a very reputable prop shop and take your performance chart numbers to them and have a serious conversation. Also take a serious look at those props again and find the dia and pitch. That should be stamped somewhere. mine had 23×27 stamped right on the hub.

pmerklinger59
    Participant

Thanks for the info, sorry for the messy post, please let me clarify a few things

Engine rpm Cummins fuel burn (gph) Observed Port (gph) Starboard(gph) mph

2200 8.4 13.2 12.7 19.1
    2400 10.4 14.9 14.1 21.0
    2500 – 17.1 15.4 22.2
    2600 12.7 18.4 17.3 23.1
    2800 (max load rpm) 16.0 19.4 19.4 24.9

Transmission ratio is 16.1 ZF80, Propeller serial # ha503, stamped m9762 (not sure if those numbers help). Boat is in fresh water with clean hull. I have the 380 hp version of the QSB5.9. 2800 rpm is wide open under load. The boat is fairly new to me, the props are in good shape so i was wondering about having them sent out, scanned and some pitch taken off ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Steve Lewis
    Participant

Need a little more info……..

What is your transmission ratio, current prop diaxpitch and do you have vessel speeds for the 2200 – 2800 GPH listings? You mention vessel speed at 2450 but we could use more data points. which HP rating do you have? is 2800rpm what you get at WOT under load?

I am in the process of working this out for my vessel and I learned something “the hard way” so maybe we can save you the same mistake I made.

I plotted my rpm, gph and speed from 2000 – 2400 rpm in 100rpm increments and then compared it to the cummins curve for the 6CTA Diamond 450. Based on my plot I took 1 inch out to move the fuel burn from 2200 up to 2300. I did not account for prop slip and should have taken out 2 inches. That is the ratio of actual vessel speed/theoretical vessel speed at rpm. So that 1 inch did not accomplish my goal of moving the fuel burn. So at winter layup we are going to have another inch taken out.

original prop spec = 23×27 (confirmed with the below mentioned scans)
    current prop spec = 23×26 (I have the prop scan printouts)
    “cross my fingers and hope this works” prop spec = 23×25

The goal is to be burning ~27gph @2150rpm+ and get that 30gph burn as close to 2300 as possible(and isntall new heads but that’s a story for another time). Our prop shop is telling me that I can only modify these props a total of 2 inches. So I have 1 inch left to go. If we need to reduce pitch any more, then I am looking at new props.

Here is an interesting thread from last year of an owner with QSB425’s going through the process. Give it a read and see what you think….

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/optimal-cruising/

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Make this simpler. For each engine provide observed fuel burn numbers side by side with printed GPH per Cummins, like what I have here boxed in red (see attached)

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.