• Creator
    Topic

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

My wife and I have an accepted off in on a boat with 480CE’s. a 2005 Sea Ray 460 Sundancer. I have spent the last few days digging through the Tony’s Tips and Technical Info portions of the site as well as reading some of the threads about the 480, and need a little guidance on something. I am wondering how much of the Diamond 450 technical info is valid for the 480 and how much of it is taken over by the “Hybrid Electronics” as Tony has put it?

Our out-of-water boat survey is next week to be followed by the in water Sea Trial and Mechanical inspection. I am trying to get a good handle on the ins and outs of the engine beyond the obvious propping and heads. In addition to the props and heads I plan on having the aftercoolers serviced or replaced depending on condition and at that time it looks like the gear oil cooler becomes easy to access since the AC is off the engine. The HX will get serviced as well. Exhaust will need work as well. It has the doomed to fail elbows but they are much longer than the ones I have usually seen. Currently waiting on the service records to be delivered so that I can review them. So far I am following my own advice and things are going well to this point.

Do I even need to worry about how much of the engine is electronic and how much of it is still considered mechanical?

We will know a whole lot more about this current boat once Survey and Sea Trial are executed but based on the threads I have read so far I think I am in a good position of “Eyes Wide Open” going into this.

Thank you in advance for any insight and practical experience. Tom Hill of T-Diesel indicated that the work to do the heads is about 2 weeks excluding parts shipments and my budgetary assumptions are inline with his estimates so I am confident about that area and have a bit of a reserve for unknowns.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant

Maint Records

I just got done reviewing the maintenance records on the 460. No surprises. The owner has been Fastidious in changing oils, all filters and other routine items. He even had the coolant flushed recently. As I figured, nothing has been done in the recent history with any of the coolers so those will get bench serviced when the heads get replaced. I did see a note in the records by one of the techs indicating that the 280IV trans does not have a Filter. So I consulted Mr. Google and found an old post on a different site by Mr. Tony Athens himself dated July 2004 indicating the trans has a magnetic bolt as a “Filter”. Thank you Tony! Also this is the first time I have ever seen volume expressed in cubic decimeters. You really do learn something new each day….

I called the Surveyor this morning and confirmed that he is scheduled for a Monday morning start. I will be interested to hear from him at the end of the day. Hoping that nothing major stands out. This boat is buried in the back of one of the indoor heated buildings. We are waiting for the 3 rows of boats in front of us to get launched so that the 460 can be launched and made ready for a serious Sea Trial.

I will specify that the engines be cold and not run within 24hours of the Sea Trial. Things are starting to fall into place.

Tony with respect to the 50 hour valve adjustment, I read the article about the low power running and break in process. The Break In portion of the article refers to new engines. I assume that new heads qualifies and I should run the boat with varied power levels and then at the 50 hour point have the valves adjusted then we should be good to go. Of course this all assumes the props get done first so the break in is done “At or below the 450 curve”.

Thank you again for the guidance

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Steve,

If this has always been a fresh water boat, the only issue you have is the overloading of the engine for probably 30-60% of the total running time.. History has shown you will need to upgrade the head for that “piece of mind” as you will be asking enough from these engines to justify that.

As to all the other service, “done right or not”, IMO, nothing to even concern yourself with.. Your “aftercoolers” will be 99+% fully serviceable along with all the rest that is part of the system.. Be very involved in that part of the service to “lean”.. Best thing you can do for the “long term”

Do a 2nd valve adjustment at 50 hours or so after the new heads are installed

Steve Lewis
    Participant

Yup

Dave,

Great observation and thank you for sharing your experience. That is precisely what I think is going on in this case and why I am proactively going to tune the props down, have the heads replaced and a few other things. I already have the spreadsheet ready with the data columns for the Sea Trial. I also recently picked up on one of Tony’s things to look at on a recent QSM post. Prop slip. The more over prop’d a boat is the more the props slip. So tuning the props will not only unload the engine but we might be in good shape on overall performance as slip might improve as well. meaning even though we reduce pitch we might not have an adverse reduction in boat speed. So I am including that in the overall analysis.

I plan on running the engines in the 2100 – 2300 rpm range depending on how things shake out with the pitch reduction. Turbocator is on the list of year 2 projects along with new navigation electronics. Amazing how 100 rpm has a material impact on EGT…….. What people do not know actually can hurt(or help) them

The picture shows the discoloration but when you see it in person it takes on a whole life of its own. I just got the service docs in email so I am going to spend the evening reviewing the info and see what else we have ahead of us.

Working the process……..

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

Steve,

Congratulations on your possible purchase, that is a beautiful boat. After reading your post and seeing the dark turbo tube I thought I would reply with what I found on a similar 480CE powered boat.
    6 years ago we bought a 2005 420 Sundancer with 480s and only 530 hrs. After the purchase I found out one engine had dropped a valve seat (not disclosed to me). I went about doing the things on this site to bring the engines into line with the fuel curve. Along with a 2 inch pitch reduction I installed turbo/egt gauges. The interesting thing I found was at 2000 rpm the engines were still out of the curve by .5 + gph and the exhaust temps were much higher. When the speed was increased to 2100 the gph was in range and the temps were reduced by 150 degrees. At 2600 the fuel burn and temps were actually lower than the curve! I attributed this to the boat not being over the “hump” at 2k. This was also observed on a QSC powered Tiara I owned later.
    The current owner of the 460 was probably running the engines at the highest exhaust temps even though he thinks he was saving them.

Good luck on the purchase and when you get her dialed in you will have a great lake boat.

Steve Lewis
    Participant

Listing Link

I swear that the one thing that I forget to do when we have our initial visit is to take good pictures. Now that we are serious we are planning a second visit and I am going to take high quality pics with my Digital Rebel.

https://www.skipperbuds.com/inv/2005-Sea-Ray-460-SUNDANCER-SkipperBuds-Marina-Del-Isle-B19115/

I am holding off on the detailed pics until we get through Survey. no point unless the survey comes back without big issues. We have walked away from 2 boats, a Tiara and a Cruisers, for water intrusion in the hull. We are not expecting any but you just never know………

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Good stuff Steve. Have any engine room pics you can post now?

Steve Lewis
    Participant

Tony,

This is a Fresh Water cruiser(Sea Ray 460 Sundancer) as opposed to a trawler. So she has not been run at Wine and Cheese speeds. She has been run on plane. The current owner has owned the boat for about 10 years and mainly uses it as a mobile weekend condo. He lives about 3 hours from the marina so he comes up for a long weekend. His takes it from the marina over to the popular island areas in the Western Basin of Lake Erie. Kelley’s Island and Put-In-Bay.

When we were on the boat doing our initial inspection, the owner was buffing and waxing the hull so we had the chance to ask him questions. I noted the discoloration on the turbos. They are in the butterscotch range and the engines have around 600 hours on them. He indicated that he runs at 2000rpm and “Does not go fast” so he would be running for about an hour to get from the inlet to his destinations after about a 7 minute idle/no wake speed out of the marina and up the channel inside the protected “East Bay”. So the engines have had a chance to get warmed up partially then run overloaded at 2K. All of this is pure conjecture as he did not seem to really know what RPM, Speed and Fuel burn he ran. He just kinda pointed the bow and got up on plane and had a nice leisurely cruise to his destination. I asked if he took long trips and he said that he did not as he does not really have the time to do that.

This is a Sea Ray so I know that the props are too big. Based on some other posts here on the forum and the response that I got from Sea Ray Customer Service, this boat came with 23×27 props. Probably need to take 2 inches out like other folks have done. The Sea Trial will tell us a lot.

I am still waiting on the maintenance records, anything other than the oil changes and impellers was done by the Marina so they are compiling the records, but I am not holding out hope that the owner had any of the Aftercooler work done. Even though this is the fresh water of Lake Erie, periodic maint of the AC is still needed as well as the HX. He said that he changes the oil on his own and the impellers every 3 years. I was not happy with that but since he runs the boat so little and he showed me the 3 impellers that he has taken out and held as spares, I let it go……..

So based on the darkish color on the turbos and piping, the assumed lack of AC maint and the over prop’d condition, we offered less than asking price by enough to mostly offset the pre-emptive replacement of the heads and the service/replacement of the Aftercoolers and the servicing of the other aspects of the cooling circuit. He owns a concrete company and he appears to take care of what he knows to take care of but falls into the category of “does not know what we know here on the forum”. I am willing to spend the money to get peace of mind and not be worried about being in the relatively remote areas of Northern Michigan and dropping a valve seat and suffering accordingly.

The boat itself and the interior are very clean and nicely cared for. It is a larger version of our current boat so we are familiar with the build and options. We are moving up from a 40Sundancer to a 460Sundancer. 10feet longer and 1.5feet wider 50% heavier. The intent is to get the boat dialed in so that we can do some long distance and long term cruising. We will be cruising the Great Lakes using Marblehead Ohio as our home port. So we will have mostly 6-8hour days of mixed running. Some of it at hull speed some at cruise which I am targeting 2200 – 2300rpm burning 13 – 15gph/engine respectively. Replacing the heads gives me a known good place to start and removing the pitch from the props after the Sea Trial will give me the fuel burn that is slightly below the 450 curve so we should be in good shape. She will not be a fast boat by any measure but based on my “Back of the napkin” estimates, we should be able to maintain the same speed that our current boat provides. I am absolutely fine with that.

This search for a bigger boat has been an education. This current market is really hot. We got into a situation where we had sold our boat at the same time the market exploded and the boats that we were looking at were being sold quickly and before we had a chance to make offers. I made a shopping list of about 10 boats and we started to go look at each of them. One after the other they were under contract and then sold. We ended up declining to offer on a couple of boats as they were too big for just me and my wife. So we arrived at this one.

I will keep a full record of the Survey info, Sea Trial data and then pictures and detail of the work that we do. Sorting the propulsion system is this year’s effort. Updated electronics and a few other items that will make cruising more comfortable/convenient for us will follow over the next couple of years.

Tony – thank you again for this forum. I have learned a ton over the years and I am really excited to put it all into practice with this larger boat.

Cheers!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Steve,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, but we’ve been have “server issues” with the web site……………… Anyway, we are good for now..

Your main question as what the 450/480 share.–Basically everything except the fuel system, engine wiring/ECM and the turbo……………

If this was always a “wine & cheese” cruiser for all of its life, why replace the heads?…………Fresh or saltwater vessel?…………….

As to your plans after you close escrow————-Keep us in the loop and take pics of “things” as they come apart.. Good pics will “tell the real story” as to the seawater components……………..

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.