• Creator
    Topic

James Graham
    Participant
    Vessel Name: WIDGEON
    Engines: 330 B

32 Holland put up for winter, ran perfectly. Launched over weekend and engine won’t go over 2100. Plenty of throttle left. Went to 3000 in fall. No prop change, no nothing changed.
    No smoke, runs smooth up to 2100.
    All filters new, no air restrictions. Ran with fuel from a can, ran without air cleaner.
    Have not adjusted aneroid yet, but not sure how much to turn star wheel for adjustment.
    Thinking maybe the shaft that operates diaphram froze up over winter
    Seems to want to go but not getting fuel.
    Stuck aneroid?
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Replies

bzinger911
    Participant

Aftercooler core and housing brandy new from Sbmar. but here is a question. i have receipts from 2010 for long block replacments . im concerned because the tag on the port motor has a stamp for 230. The turbo and after cooler and marinized parts went back on this new long block. The boat came with and i have the engine tags for the 330s. does the turbo and aftercooler essentually make it a 330 ? Or did the shop that did the swap screw this up ?

Don Gardner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: OUR TIME
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 5.9 m3. 330

Ken,
    My props are now 22×21. Let me know if you buy and install those.

Don

kennethmobley
    Participant

Don What were your final prop specs?

24×20 assuming you had the same props I have. I haven’t had a chance to fab interceptors to get the bow down but looking at a set of these:
    http://www.great-water.com/products/volvo-penta-ql-boat-trim-system

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

bz,

No, for sure not. The props are the last thing after all else is checked out. Blowing black smoke – start with the aftercooler apart on the bench and fully services the Seaboard Way. That needs to be done and done right for more reasons than just troubleshooting a low power issue. Estate sale? Was this thing sitting for a LONG time? Is all engine room ventilation clearn and clear? Air filter condition? Have you photo-tached her. These type things need to be gone through 100%, only then will you know what to do with your props…ā€¦ā€¦…

bzinger911
    Participant

bump

bzinger911
    Participant

I having a similar issue . Maxum 4100 SCR . The Boat is up in Boston and im on long island. I have an extra set of props but never checked them. I am doing about 23 knots and both engines are stuck at 2100 rpm.Port side blowing black smoke accelerating then stops. also in turn loading up. Boat no loads close to 2800rpm. I Pulled the exhaust side of the turbo on the port side and it looked very good (photos attached). Props where both stamped 22/24 both sets.

Should i just take some pitch out and call it day? Keep in mind this was an estate sale and i have no prior information other than the engines are 330s.

port side is coming up slowly. Gorhams deisel ( ive been waiting patiently for Doug to come ) is supposed to come on Wednesday. when he last checked the boat both engines were only making 10psi of boost around that 2k mark.

Don Gardner
    Participant

Much better acceleration and very smooth. No smoke any time from idle to WOT.

Don

Don Gardner
    Participant

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. We went for a cruise today. here are the numbers.

RPMS GPS speed in knots

2300 15-16
    2400 17-18
    2500 18-20
    2600 21-22

WOT 2800 both engines

Bottom cleaned 5 weeks ago. With the amount of growth we get in the marina and the mussels I scraped off the down tubes for the dingy platform lift, I can only assume the bottom is due for a cleaning again.

Don

Don Gardner
    Participant

Thanks Rob.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Remember you can do the photo-tach at the dock, way easier/safer that way. Just get the engine (coolant & oil) up to temp with a quick boat ride first.

Don Gardner
    Participant

Rob,
    We did laser tach before the prop repitch. Not again after they went back on. I agree that should only need to be done once, however I will do it again to set my mind at ease that I know exactly what the repitch did. It is my understanding that the prop shop conferred with Tony to determine how much pitch to take out of the props and that each inch of pitch should increase rpms by approximately 200.

Don

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

You didn’t laser tach the engines before having the props tuned?

That’s something you only have to do once and then make an index card of the delta between gauge and actual…

Don Gardner
    Participant

Ken,
    The props went back on yesterday. 2″ of pitch was taken out. We went for a sea trial but I did not check rpm’s with a laser tach. We had rough seas and a 12 to 15 knot wind. Rpms (per the dash tachs) were 2825 on the starboard and 2875 on port. I will sea trial again on a calm day to get a more accurate reading, as well as with a laser tach on the engines. The engines did spin up faster and smoother with no smoke.

Don

kennethmobley
    Participant

Any update on your props?

Thanks,
    Ken

Don Gardner
    Participant

Ken,

I am not out of the water. Had a diver pull the props. The prop shop will be talking with Tony directly to determine what to do with my props rather than me getting in the middle of that decision. I hope to have them back on by the end of next week so we can do a sea trial and hopefully put all this behind us.

Don

kennethmobley
    Participant

Don,
    Fabricator is in France and he has a cad file for a 4200 SCR not the 4100. Are you still out of the water? I’m looking locally for a hull to get a template made and then take to a machine shop. I’d use Aluminum 3/4″ plate against the hull and aluminum 3/8″ plate for the interceptor. Plates are approximately 15.75″ from centerline to oustide edge. The gent in NZ had similar dimensions and his were fiberglass. I think material and labor would be less than $1000.
    He is using 4200 to bond to hull and then screwed as well. The 4 bolts used to attach inner plate to agustable plate are 8mm. I’ll go 1/2″ hardware with locknuts and fender washers. I’m in freshwater so corrosion is less of an issue on my end. Shoot me an email if you’d like. [email protected]
    I’m very interested in your prop results. I’m changing all fuel filters later this week and test running again to see if problem is solved.
    Ken

Don Gardner
    Participant

Tony,
    Got the props off today. Will take them to the prop shop tomorrow and he will do a scan while I wait. I’ll have him send you the scans if he will, or I will send them when I get home.

Don

Don Gardner
    Participant

Ken,
    Do you have contact info for the fabricator? What name is he selling it under? Where can they be purchased?

Don

kennethmobley
    Participant

Don,
    One of the guys who saw the post on FB and is a fabricator fabbed a set for his 4200 scr and reported similar results and is selling a kit for $1000. I am trying to find a hill out of water to make template myself.

Don Gardner
    Participant

Thanks Ken

Don

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.