• Creator
    Topic

George Forrer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Think Big
    Engines: Cummins QSC 540hp

Good Morning All, I should be coming up on 2000 hours at the end of this season. Is there anything particular that should be serviced at that hour point? Thinking more of internal thinks valve adjustment fuel injectors? Everything is running good at the moment. Motors are QSC 2006 Thanks George

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

George Forrer
    Participant

Thanks for letting me know. I will cut them open at the end of this season and post some pictures. My 3208 Cats did not return nearly that much fuel. This is why I’m glad I found this place always learning. So if I am changing them out 1200 to 1500 gallons of fuel burned it’s more like I have ran 4-5 thousand gallons through the filters? Thanks George

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yup. Which is exactly why the best way to polish your fuel is to get a REAL filtration setup and then just go boating, especially when the seas are a little lumpy…

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Fuel flow vs. fuel consumption– Totally Different Animals

Maybe 5-6:1 or more.. He may know fuel, but he does not understand how his engine works.. Burn 100 gallons and you could easily push 600 gallons thru the fuel filtration system……Your Mechanical B’s, maybe 7-8:1.. 1 gpm is a good number–IE, run 100 minutes = 100 gallons thru the system.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Oh Ok thatā€™s one area I know. The fuel comes out of my fuel truck and right into my boat. I have been in the diesel fuel bis for 35 years. I change filters on gallons burned not engine hours. Thanks

The filters see and return way more fuel than the engine burns…ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦…

George Forrer
    Participant

Oh Ok that’s one area I know. The fuel comes out of my fuel truck and right into my boat. I have been in the diesel fuel bis for 35 years. I change filters on gallons burned not engine hours. Thanks

Tony Athens

Cut open the last chance “on-engine” fuel filter

George Forrer
    Participant

Thanks Tony, The coolers were off 3 years ago when I bought the boat. They will be off again this year as I feel every 3 years is a good service cycle. You helped me with all the O-ring gaskets on the aftercooler and heat exchanger. I can get both end caps and the cores out of the heat exchanger and aftercooler is there a need to remove it from the motor? I need to review your protocol. My season here in Jersey is from April til October that the boat is in the water. The On-Engine-Filter I am guessing is the oil filter? I do oil changes every season or 200 hours. I will cut the next filter open and take a look. Thanks for the help Tony

Tony Athens

Valve adjustment=NO

Fuel injectors =NO

On-engine filter–Yes if over a few 100 hours old–But cut the old one open and look inside, especially at the bottom.. It should be clean.. If not, then you need to ask why it is not.

Aftercooler = 100% yes–On the bench and all apart.. Per our protocol.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.