• Creator
    Topic

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

This topic has been posted  before and Rob Schepps has a short writeup on the topic. 

I figured I post my 1st hand account of the oil change.

First….do not attempt trying to take off the 36mm hex nut magnet/screen plug on the gear without using a 6 pt socket that has had the bevel ground down flat. There is not much depth to the head of the 6 pt plug. IMO  if you use a standard 6 pt (without gringing on flat)  or a 12 pt socket you’ll round the dam head off of the nut in no time flat.

Second….you’ll need a breaker bar and some additional leverage to break the hex plug free. The ZF factory torque tightness is just that. The plug is a bugger to get off the first time. And make sure you keep constant pressure on the socket when you try to break it free so it doesn’t slip on the head of the nut. I had to use my foot to put enough pressure on the breaker bar and extension to break the plug free.

Third…..I installed a drain line on the 280A before installed in the boat. It makes changing the oil with an electric pump so much easier. The 22 mm drain plugs are tough to get at in any type hull.

Fourth……clean the filter screen and the magnet on the tip of the 36 mm hex plug and with the copper gasket screw the hex plug back into the gear and hand torque to tight. I used a dab of Rectorseal #5 between the copper gasket and the plug. Next gear change the plug removal will be much much easier to remove.

Fifth…..fill with clean 30W HD oil or 15-40 wt engine oil if you can’t find straight 30W. I put 4.2 qts back in the gear…fired the engine up…checked oil level and checked for leaks. No issues.

I hope my post helps a member out on the 1st gear oil change on a 280A gear. 

btw, the ZF220 gears have the same 36mm hex plug.

FIWI,

Bill D 

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

yes I’ll send the pictures 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Transmission –Oil Changing Notes

Bill,

Good info here–If I can find the time, I’ll put it into an article on the site..  Thanks for sharing.

Can you send me the pics direct?

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.