• Creator
    Topic

RON GALLAGHER
    Participant
    Vessel Name: LISA MARIE
    Engines: 600 HP CUMMINS QSC 8.3 HO

Diesel novice here, that is in third year of ownership of twin diesels on a 36FT express.  The engines ran flawless all summer, and on the last run to the winter storage facility, which also built the custom express.  Had 1000 hour service performed on pair of 2008 Cummins QSC 8.3 600 HO engines by factory techs.  Complete heat exchanger dismantle and pressure test.  One week prior, storage yard changed Racors and in-line fuel spin on filters.  I was present at the time of the filter change, and Racors were primed, but in-line filters were not primed, “per Cummins recommendations”.  Factory Tech re-assembled engines and sea trial was arranged.  Tech was informed new filters were installed.  Boat was dropped in the water for sea trial, with myself, Tech, and yard personnel in attendance.  Port engine was difficult to start, but after 12-15 cycles of “key switch prime”, engine started.  Starboard engine would not start after 15-20 cycles, and bleeding of lines by Tech.  Long story short, starboard engine required new fuel pump???  Am I off base thinking that priming the engines this way may have contributed to the failure of the fuel pump?  Again, engines were running fine all season, but a change of fuel filters and 1000 hour service and heat exchanger, sea water pump, gear oil cooler, after-cooler, etc. check results in a new fuel pump required?  Thanks for your input.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

james
    Participant

photo of system

I found this photo on my computer.  As you can see it’s very straightforward.  What is not visible in the photo, is the 7 foot hoses I added to the valve.  These allow me to do a hose to hose connection in the cockpit, keeping any spray out of the engine room.  The hoses also give me the capability for emergency dewatering (I have screen boxes with quick connects in the low part of the bilge. This is an inexpensive solution which requires nominal skills.  You do need to be certain to have your valves set properly prior to heading out again.

james
    Participant

You can accomplish the same thing as the photo above show’s, but do it for a fraction of the cost.  Yet another advantage of the fresh water flush system, is that in an emergency, you can get two diesel engines running as high volume pumps for you!

Michael Black
    Participant
    Vessel Name: finatic
    Engines: 6BTA

flush system

as a simple solution that would work for me, any thoughts?

http://www.marinequickflushvalve.com/home.html

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

“………to keep dripping out of the engine room.”

I like the way you think!

Thanks for the details.  When you get the pics together feel free to start a new Topic in General Discussion.

james
    Participant

I’ll get pictures up in a week or so, but in the interim will provide a detailed description.  We took the bronze caps off the strainers, and tapped them for a 1/2 inch pipe.  We then plumbed ball valves and a 90 to the 1/2 in pipe.  Flushing process involves attaching dock hose to the strainer via the parts described before, letting the engine run, open hose valve, close seacock.  I have hoses permanently installed so I do a hose to hose connection in the cockpit to keep dripping out of the engine room.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

James,

Thanks for the contributions.  If you can, post some pics of your setup.  As we know there are many many ways to setup a flush system so always good to see what others have done and what works.

james
    Participant

freshwater flush

Just to add to Tony’s recommendation on the Freshwater flush.  I did it on my boat, the install cost was probably around $140, and I’ve probably saved that already on zinc’s.  It also helps protect your turbo’s if the water in your muffler pools closer to the turbo than you would like.  I flush religiously 10 minutes per engine after every trip.  That pushes 20 gallons of water through the engines.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

There is not, but there is a very good picture showing your “on-engine fuel maze”.. Understand this and installing a “squeeze bulb” priming  system is the key to simple priming.

Tony

Fuel Flow Maze  -  330-370 Diamond

Michael Black
    Participant
    Vessel Name: finatic
    Engines: 6BTA

bleeding a 6bta

I don’t mean to hijack this post but I saw the link for bleeding instruction for a QSM and wondered if there was a similar link for a 6BTA 5.9 Mk3?

thanks

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Ron,

It’s really hard to comment on the “whole job” as to how the services were performed or what they should cost.. We have out protocols and methods,  & the Cummins School techs have theirs.. I know them both, been to all of the schools,  and that’s why we do things the “Seaboard Way” .

But I will say this, if the tech DID NOT remove the “IN” bleed screw” from the “last chance” fuel filter and he tried to prime the engine per the Cummins book, and then loosen the outlet screw to fill the new filter, he has no clue about the fuel system in general this engine has, and does not have much experience besides.. Sad in my book and then charge top $$ for the work.. Running the pump dry for 10+ cycles certainly did not help the pump. I’ll also guess the starter had quite a workout too.

Looking towards the long term—Considered spending some effort in figuring out a way to fresh water flush your engines when at the dock.. Only 1000 hours in  8 yrs tell me your engine spend a lot of time at the dock jut sitting…  If you do, then 6-8 yrs from now, your coolers will not even need servicing….

TonyQSB 5.9 Fuel Bleed Screw

RON GALLAGHER
    Participant
    Vessel Name: LISA MARIE
    Engines: 600 HP CUMMINS QSC 8.3 HO

Not until at least 12 cycles of the key prime were performed.  And this was after having difficulty starting the port engine.   After numerous attempts to start, Tech asked observers if white smoke was present during cranking.  After finally bleeding the system, the engine still would not start.  He hooked up his computer to diagnose.  Computer wasn’t really telling him much, and he felt there might be a stuck fuel injector.  The following day he tested the fuel injectors which proved to be OK.  Next was fuel pump.  Installed new pump and the engine is now operating.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.