• Creator
    Topic

Tom Mann
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bow Tie
    Engines: Cummins QSM11 660hp

Hi Tony, Hi Rob,

I need to find written instructions regarding the “manual” shifting of my ZF 325IV gears. If you can point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it. I’ve searched the internet, you tube, etc, etc. Can’t find anything, but I know it can be done.

The reason I need to know is because a friend of mine was running about 100 miles offshore when his captain was not able to shift his port side ZF gear into forward, needless to say it was a long ride home. When he arrived at his dock where his mechanic met him and was able to manually shift the gear.

I think I’d like to know how to do this now and not wait for the same thing to happen to me. Who knows? It could happen right?…..maybe? I’d just like to be prepared.

I’m very familiar with my QSM11’s and ZF325 IV’s as I do alot of my own repair and maintenance work, plus I don’t mind getting my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tom Mann
    Participant

Hi Tony,Ā 

I was just now able to get back to the boat and had a meeting with my Cummins mechanic. He gave me instructions on how to put my gear into F/R manually. I wanted thank you for your response.Ā 

Thank you,Ā 

Tom Mann

Bow Tie

Tom Mann
    Participant

Hi Tony,

Will do, it will be a while until I get to the boat as it’s 480 miles away. I was hoping that there is only one type of solenoid. I’ll get back to you with the pictures and other information you need.

Thanks’

Tom Mann

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I will sort this out, but first I need to “SEE” and few pics on the install / gear and especially good pictures ofĀ  the shifting valve block assemble..

I also want to know exactly what shift controls you have and how many stations..

I know this gear top to bottom and happen to be in the middle of a very custom install of one

Let’s do that first.

Post here and send direct in HIGH resĀ Ā  —Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  [email protected]

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.