• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

I know it may be beating a dead horse, but I’m having trouble understanding what coolant to use in my new to me 6LYA-STE.

I’ve done research, not a lazy no search question.

The literature from Yanmar is a bit outdated, they recommend Coolant from Havoline or Texaco. The Havoline ELC is now orange. I have read that the red coolant is what is to be used. The Havoline ELC (orange) is silicates and nitrate free OAT.

Delo ELC is red, silica free, but does have nitrates.

In my 4LH, I used the Shellzone ELC, which is red. But looking at some specs, I think this is only low silica and nitrites…idk.

Please sort me out. Without any guidance I believe I am going with the Havoline ELC like the yanmar literature recommends which is orange OAT, no silicates or nitrates.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Audax
    Engines: Yanmar 4LHA-STE

Coolant

I have 4LHA-STEs which have the same coolant issues as your 6LYAs.
    The key is, and I think this is in the Yanmar spec someplace, is that the coolant have no silicates or phosphates.
    I have used Preston Dex-Cool Extended Life coolant for 20 years with no problems. Any brand of Dex-Cool Extended Life should be OK as long as you can find some place on the label that says “silicate and phosphate free”. These are all orange in color.
    If you cannot find the “silicate and phosphate free” on the label I would not use it.
    I have attached a picture of an older label and a newer label of the Preston Extended Life Dex-Cool coolant.
    By the way, I change mine every year. But I also put 500-700 hours per year on the motors.

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Wesner
    Participant

Mack Boring in NJ rep Sam said the Havoline ELC (orange) and Yanmar brand YG30 is acceptable.

I hope this helps others.

D

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Unfortunately making sense of the spec and the information available has me guessing.

D

That is why my recommendation is to call them directly for current recommended brands/types or use what they sell.

David Wesner
    Participant

Tony,

you are correct. I think it is unwise to ignore their specification.

Unfortunately making sense of the spec and the information available has me guessing.

D

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

David,

For what ever reason, the aluminum alloy and overall design the the coolant system that Yanmar designed required a special coolant make-up to keep internal pitting corrosion in the exhaust manifolds under control…

Personally, I would not ignore what they claim to meet the spec, nor would I go outside their change-out recommendations…A small price to pay to keep and very good engine in good shape…………………. Your call..

David Wesner
    Participant

I’m fine with the Havoline ELC from my point of view and the information available. Just saw some discussion about the orange color. Don’t really want to go with the Yanmar brand coolant for cost and availability.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes Havoline ELC has been used in Yanmars for years and years but if it’s no longer sitting comfortably with you how about a call to Mack Boring for the their current recs or go with Yanmar branded coolant…

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.