• Creator
    Topic

jasonblume62
    Participant

Hello All,

I want to get your opinions on what is necessary as my Yanmar 6LPA-DTP engines roll over the 1000 hour mark.

A little history on the engines/boat: Bertram 28, the boat is lift kept in South Florida, repowered in 2006 with 6LPA-DTP (260hp, 2 valves/cylinder), 3960 max rpm, engines run 165* F water temperature, max cruise rpm is 3250, a little bit of white smoke on idle, little black smoke on first acceleration, freshwater flush after use, service every 100 hrs, engines have been flushed with RYDLYME twice engines have been great so far, no issues other than an overheat due to a seized alternator at one point.

My question is what needs to be done at the 1000 hr mark? My plan is to do the normal service items:
    -oil & filters
    -fuel filters/Racor filters
    -coolant flush
    -v-belts
    -air filters
    -zincs
    -impellers
    -complete RYDLYME flush
    -exhaust elbows (still on the originals)

What else do you recommend I do at this point? I am aware that the Yanmar Manual recommends checking/replacing:
    -Valve Adjustment
    -Lap intake and exhaust valves
    -Injection Pump Timing
    -Injector Pressure & Spray Pattern
    -Replace timing belts

Does all this sound necessary? I know if I were to do the timing belt the engines may have to be pulled…

I really like to see the expertise of this forum, and can’t wait to hear you opinions and advice!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Gary Marshall
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wine Down (Albin 28 TE); Bull Dolphin (Bowen 28ft Pirogue)
    Engines: Yanmar 6LP-STP ; twin Suzuki DF140s

A bit late on my response. I have a 6LPA-STP with 7200 hours (6500 hours put on in the last 3 to 4 years). I imagine the service is very similar.

In my annual haul up I have my mechanic do the valve adjustment, and we change the timing belt (we put on about 2,000 hours per year). The timing belt always looks great, but not about to chance it. I do have good access in front of my engine to change it however.

I did change my elbows to the HDI Marine ones, back in 2017, and they have been perfect so far.

I am trying to deal with some rusty areas around the transmission and one engine mount right now. I am treating mine with the wire brush, some ospho, and I would normally use “cold-galv” spraypaint but can’t find any, so prob brush on some red-oxide.

I do the normal service items as you have listed, and keep track of them in a spreadsheet per the attached.
    There is a product locally called SA342 but it is sulphonic acid/sulfonic acid used to clean lime in boilers and so on. I run it through my cooling system for a few hours using a little portable rule bilge pump in a pair of old gloves as a “stainer”. Then flush with water. figure it can’t hurt. Obviously not as good as bench cleaning and testing the million heat exchangers on the engine, but access is very poor to get some of them out.

I now looked at your pictures. Wow….can you cut an access hole in front of each engine to do the timing belts?

jasonblume62
    Participant

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply!

The timing belt and valve adjustment is a must? How do you feel about the aftermarket HDI Marine Riser (mixing elbows)?

Also, how do you deal with rust areas on the engines? Do you have any tricks for touchup painting these areas?

The MASE Generator has its goods and bads… It has been running well and powers everything in the cabin (fridge, AC, chargers, fan, etc. a lot for 2.5kW) The bad is it buzzes along at 3600 rpm continuously… Still nice to take a quick break from the Bahamas heat (and endure the noise) during summer!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Post a few good pics

Bill Stenger
    Participant
    Engines: 250 Hp 6bt M1

I have the same exhaust elbow on my yanmar 6lp Tony. It has 6400 hrs with no service history. Should I pull the elbow and inspect or just replace it? Opinions? I don’t know the cost on one but it can’t be that much compared to a dry riser or new turbo or engine worst case.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Yanmar 6LPA’s 260’s in Bertram 28

The fact that you fresh water flush makes all 100X better..

As to these 3 items:

Lap intake and exhaust valves
    -Injection Pump Timing
    -Injector Pressure & Spray Pattern

IMO, something was lost in the translation. IGNORE them

Super tight engine room, but if you can deal with it, then great. I could not imagine changing and impeller at sea. Not a fan of risers like you have, but with diligent fresh water flushing, I’d guess they will last another 10 years (you hope) , as if they don’t, then your turbos , or worse. with go south.

How is that MASE treating you? Curious what you need it for vs, it’s “comfort level” when it is running.

jasonblume62
    Participant

Pictures

Some pictures for reference, very tight engine space…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.