• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by John.
  • Creator
    Topic

marks737
    Participant
    Winterizing question. I have QSB 5.9 engines .Was thinking about using fresh water tank filled with pink to feed engines through strainer flush fittings to winterize. (I would attach a short hose from engine room spigot to strainers).. Has anyone done this? Any potential issues? Not sure if engine suction along with fresh water pump pressure would be ok. Side note: I did do this on the genny last year as it wasnā€™t pulling from the bucket and it worked fine.
    <br />Also considering this method for the AC. Ā Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Hard to picture or know how the freshwater pump plays into it but the engine will develop plenty of suction so just make sure it’s sucking what you want it to. Ā Don’t try to feed the engine anything….let it drink with its own pump.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Marks, you can certainly do it. I would leave the fill cap off, just in case your vent is not working properly. The Cummins pump will pull a lot of water. You wouldnā€™t want to collapse a tank.

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Winterizing

Interesting approach as I have done similar but slightly different.my boat was on the hard and I really wanted some fresh water to flush through the system before I ran the the non tox anti freeze through. I used the fresh water tank to do that because all the water was shut down in marina. I hauled late and had to deal with it. I then put in the non tox for engines.What you have to realize in your situation is that what you put in your water tank is not what you should put in your engine.The two are different bases and I use separate applications for both. I think the main concern is keeping enough fluid to the impeller.if the impeller is out I donā€™t see any reason you couldnā€™t start without overheating if you ran for a short time. I had no problem running off the water tank although itā€™s probably marginal.BillĀ 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.