• Creator
    Topic

Mike Pettee
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cop-Out
    Engines: Cummins 370s

Background.

Fired up motors flawlessly Sunday. Didn’t take the boat out just making sure everything worked as I waited to install new steering.

Monday night Ian comes. No major winds here in Big Pine, but tons of rain. Never lost power but I did turn off the breaker to the shore power from Monday evening through Wednesday afternoon. I am sure she pumped a a TON of water, but I have 1000 AH through an inverter providing 120 V to keep the batter charged. Shouldn’t have allowed the battery to drop.

Today – post storm inspection and steering install. Gauge read 12.8 and pumps and all 12 V systems worked fine.

Go to crank the engine and it won’t crank. Sounds like battery is dead. But then I see this ..

Reads 3.8-4 volts at rest. When I first energize the helm, it blanks out. Turn helm off and back on, it reads 12.8 it won’t start. But when I take the small load off it, it drops back down. Oddly, the voltage goes from 3.8 to 12.8 when I put any small load on it.

These gauges are direct to the battery. A great addition found on this site. 

Replacing the battery tomorrow. But never had a battery behave this way and why to make sure I shouldn’t be hunting for anything else. All the stuff does ( or tries to do ) what it is supposed to do (on, start) Any thoughts?

​​​​​

http://photos.app.goo.gl/45Lh1dy4eTUAfL5g7

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Wiring issues & and a bad battery is where you need to start–Anything that got wet needs WD-40 and/ or white lithium grease on all connections for a start as you sort thru things

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.