• Creator
    Topic

Dylan Honebrink
    Participant
    Vessel Name: You-Betcha
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 250

Hi guys, my boat is a 1995 Albin 28TE, it’s got a 250 hp 6bta. We don’t  have a slip yet, probably another 2 years. I’ve read Tony’s articles and procedure for fresh water flushing the engine with the seacock left open. This is the route I plan to go with the flushing when the boat is in the water. My question is how can I accomplish the flush while the boat is on the trailer? Is it the same order of operations or do I need to make an adjustment. Also is it possible and not detrimental to warm the engine enough while on the trailer to change the oil? My sea strainer is equipped with a garden hose connection on top. Any tips on flushing on the trailer and warming the engine enough to change oil would be appreciated. I live in a cold climate and would like to change oil before the season begins. Thanks for the help. 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Your strainer is under the rear deck hatch, right?  Rather than use the fresh water flush connection on the strainer, remove the lid and stick the hose in the strainer with the seacock closed, the system will fill and when full will simply overflow the strainer (some clean fresh water in the bilge, so what), start the engine when it  begins to overflow from the strainer top.  You’re on a trailer so the garboard drain should be out to let any freshwater overflow out.

Dylan Honebrink
    Participant
    Vessel Name: You-Betcha
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 250

Thanks, I’ve been looking to do several things and a pad heater is one of them. I was trying to determine today if I’d be able to install one and I think it might be pretty difficult. I may give it a try though.  Not sure on the second question as I have yet to run it on the trailer. Thanks for the reply, I’m hopeful I can get a pad heater on there. 

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Have you considered a Wolverine oil pan heater. That adds many benefits including warm oil for oil changes. <br /><br />

If you connect the hose to the strainer and start the engine with the seacock open does water come out the intake thru hull from under the boat while she’s running?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.