• Creator
    Topic

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

I recently went over to the dark side and purchased a 2009 boat with Volvo 600 IPS. I am looking for an alternative coolant to use in these engines and Volvo is very tight lipped on specs, their coolant is $32 per gallon. Does anyone have experience with these engines or have an opinion on the subject? I should mention that at this price it is not even available in the quantity I need.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Patrick Poorman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Liberty
    Engines: 2007 Volvo D6 370

I have 07′ Volvo D6’s, I needed to top off one engine as we lost some coolant changing out the temp sender. My mechanic said that Prestone green is just fine to top it off with. He is an excellent Volvo mechanic, been to the school and has the software. I topped it off with a pint or so two summers ago and all good. I’m sure you will be fine with the Prestone you used.Ā 

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

The coolant is in the engine only. I went with Prestone Final Charge which is extended life OAT and nitrate free like the Volvo coolant. Volvo is not very helpful about specs.Ā 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Have you found a quality substitute that meets the Volvo specs?Ā  Ā 

Is coolant circulated thru any part of the IPS unit, or just thru the engines?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.