• Creator
    Topic

Ron Pickering
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Anykine
    Engines: 6BTA 370

I have a 6BTA 370 hp. I am going to check the valves and I currently have the o-ring gasket for the valve cover bolt. Our local cummins shop says that it has been upgraded to the Isolator type gasket. The bolt looks like the one shown on SBMARs site for the Isolator gasket (bolt with partial threads and shoulder). Is there any difference between the 2 gaskets?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Paul Greenhalgh
    Participant
    Vessel Name: ADELAIDE
    Engines: QSB6.7 480

I haven’t heard of the ‘isolator bolt’ option before. Is this considered a worthwhile upgrade for 6BTA’s? Does it really make a difference to noise?…or have other benefits?

Ron Pickering
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Anykine
    Engines: 6BTA 370

Thanks,

My valve cover does not have the recess so I will use the o-rings.

Thanks again.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Cummins B series Valve covers

2 x Valve cover styles–One with shoulder bolts and a common #6 o-rings, and the other with “sunk” isolator seals.. Both are still used, but over the last 10 years dealing with the Recons, they use the simpler version. Lower main gasket is the same on both.. They are available in Grey, Red & Black as a genuine Cummins gaskets and are silicone based.. I think we only stock the grey one but are considering the RED ones.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes. The recess in the valve cover accepts the isolator. Replace them and replace the base gaskets too. Just did mine on the 330B’s last winter, here’s some pics

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.