• Creator
    Topic

Scott Lambert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Old Man River
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9

I have a QSB380 12 years old with 1140 hours. The valve clearances have never been checked. So I guess it is time?
    QSOL says to use a special barring tool, which I do not have. Any alternatives?
    Do I need to loosen the injectors to turn the engine over?
    Any other tips? I did have a look in Tony Tips but couldn’t find anything specific

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Scott Lambert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Old Man River
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9

Thanks guys, I had it in my head that the service interval was 1000 hrs, but now I have re checked QSOL it is actually 5000. Everything sounds fine, so I think I will leave it for while.

For info I tried the socket on the alternator pulley method but it didn’t work, the belt just slipped. Thats why I asked about the injectors. I totally agree though, messing with the injectors is beyond my pay grade. Maybe I need new belts after 12 years?

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Donā€™t mess with the injectors.

Not required but if you have to it wonā€™t hurt to adjust the valves. No need for the barring tool, just put a socket on the alternator pulley… it should turn over relatively easy.

With basic skills and a manual to follow along in the adjustment process itā€™s an easy go.

Phil

David H
    Participant

Scott,
    Not sure it’s yet time to do that, which is what Cummins calls an overhead set adjustment. Have you checked the service schedule? I have a QSC8.3 and it says 1500Hrs for hi HP engines, but if rated less than 450hp, they don’t recommend this until 5000 hours.
    Someone with more knowledge might chime in but in my mind, unless you hear some valve tapping or other unusual symptoms, I wouldn’t be anxious to crack open the head until the recommended time… QSB might have a different schedule.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.