• Creator
    Topic

Frank Ketcham
    Participant
    Vessel Name: True Blue
    Engines: Cummins TBA 5.9

Both turbos have leaking oil and I am trying to troubleshoot. Turbo spins freely and bearings seem to be ok. See pic

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Could be lots of things………Type of air intake system, CCV ststem? , overfill of oil pan, lack of proper engine room ventilation, lack of normal turbo maintenance on the air side, etc..

One thing for sure, you need to get all spic & span to find the source of the leak.. Your engine room attention needs improvement as what I see did not happen in a trip ot two.

gskyward
    Participant

Turbo Leak

Frank, I had the same issue recently on my 6BTA 5.9L. Thought it was the pressure line leaking at the B-nut (shown in your pic). It turned out to be coming from the oil dipstick. Crankcase base pressure was too high and it was causing oil to be blown out of dipstick tube. I was 30 hours into the m 100 hour break-in. Ultimately, it turned out during the rebuild the piston to bore and ring gap tolerances were incorrect and ended up scoring the cylinders causing compression blowback into the crankcase and blowing oil from the dipstick tube. There were a couple other things they checked before determining the real problem. I believe the nomenclature they used were intake filter, CCW, engine block oil return check valve. Iā€™m not a diesel mechanic, so Iā€™m going by what Iā€™m told. Ended up have to do another rebuild on that engine. Hopefully, thatā€™s not going to be your issue.Ā 

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.