• Creator
    Topic

David Brown
    Participant
    Vessel Name: tub
    Engines: 6bta

I’m switching back to a single helm station. I have 6bta with the older vdo Vanguard quad gauge.  Anyone know what sender I should be using? I’ve tried Stewart Warner 280 ea, and my gauge is reading 15 degrees to high.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Brown
    Participant

Maybe if I can get it identified I can get a single station one from the maker.

David Brown
    Participant

The one I tried was a Stewart Warner 280 ea. and that’s a 250 degree. Of course my gauge is reading high. I’m going to enclose a picture of my old dual station sender and see if anyone can I’d the make.

David Brown
    Participant

Tony it’s 220 and there in lies the problem. I’m being told that there are no longer any 220 degree senders made for these vdo gauges.

pwrobert
    Participant

If the catalog above does indeed show your instrument then all you may need are Single Station Oil Pressure and Temperature Senders from Teleflex/Sierra for your diameter hole size in the engine. Oil pressure typically 1/8” and Temp could be 1/4”, 3/8” or 1/2”.

pwrobert
    Participant

On the Scribd website I find a VDO catalog that shows what appears to be your instrument cluster in two versions. I suspect you have the US version which is the 220f temp model and uses a US ohms range sender. They also show the same gauge cluster in the 250f range and it uses the European VDO ohms range. <br />https://www.scribd.com/document/96592149/VDO-Marine-Catalog

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

So your gauge is the 220F in the four gauge cluster on the bottom of page 6 in the attached catalog.  They refer you to the sender section but in the sender section only list 250F senders.  Also attached is the resistance chart that shows the different ohm ranges for the 220F vs 250F gauges.  A quick Googling and I came up short for the sender for the 220F gauge….

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Can’t read the range of the coolant temp gauge ??

David Brown
    Participant

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

How about posting a clear pic of the gauge? Sending units for  VDO gauges are “range ” and “stations”  specific

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.