• Creator
    Topic

Jon Foerster
    Participant
    Vessel Name: the Office III
    Engines: Volvo Penta Diesel TAMD74EDC 480HP

Help!!! The gremlins are attacking my boat…
    I have the TAMD74EDC set up w/ ZF transmission. About 600 hours.
    I just Had my boat pulled to have a bottom job, shaft log seals replaced, all rubber below the water line, Props refurbish. Oil change, Trans serviced.. And now my Starboard engine isnā€™t cooperating..Very frustrating…
    Port engine everything works perfect.
    Everything worked perfect with both motors/trans before pulling the boat out for the services.

Problemā€¦
    Starboard engine ā€” When doing the sequence to start the boat it will not turn over. First, push the active station button and Neutral light comes on. Turn ignition and nothing but A Relay behind the dash starts clicking and itā€™s never done that before (Switched relay with another one, still did the same thing). And NO error/diagnostic blinking light While all of this is going on. I can then Manipulate starting the engine by pushing diagnostic button. After It turns over and starts, but not normal. It runs almost 200 rpm higher than normal. ( Normal is about 700 it running 900.) It will not shift into gear. It seems like itā€™s in a fail safe mode. Iā€™ve read through all the trouble shooting booklets on the boat thereā€™s not a scenario for this problem.

Iā€™ve swapped all relays from other motor to eliminate that. Nothing changed..

Any help is appreciated. Iā€™ve tried to think outside the box on this. It does have ZF transmissions. Is it possible when they pulled the shafts and did the oil service could something got out of sink where its not reading neutral or it out of gear?

Thanks,
    Jon

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jon Foerster
    Participant
    Vessel Name: the Office III
    Engines: Volvo Penta Diesel TAMD74EDC 480HP

Fixed

Thanks Tony…
    you beat me to the punch.. I just got back from the boat. I did exactly that. After talking with the tech for a bit. he told me what he was doing to try and start the boat. Pretty sure he accidentally ran the sequence that messed up the TPS sensor. So I reset the system and and re calibrated the TPS and it worked.
    Hope it helps the next guy..

What was tough was there wasnā€™t any codes flashing on the system. Now while I was plugging and swapping stuff I accidentally messed up a wire going to the Port motor. Good thing was that the codes flashed for that. So I guess the system works some times.. LOL..

Thanks,
    Jon

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

How far “outside the box” can your think and then do? I do not know Volvo electronics at all, BUT:

If it was me, I separate both engines 100% in the boat, get my set up manual, reboot the ECM’s, and then set them both engines up as if they were in 2 single engine boats………We learned that years back with the Mercury SmartCrap system, before we figured out just to DUMP that part of the electronics all together.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.