• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

So, I’m dealing with a stubborn 24″ prop on a 1.5″ shaft, 4 blade. No information available for when this has last been pulled. Some issues getting a puller rigged because the blades are blocking a straight path through next to the hub. I have a two bolt fine thread puller rigged and am using wrenches to tighten. This and some liberal map gas help has produced little progress. Also, have applied PB blaster to key area….I know taper will most likely not see the cat piss, but I figure it can’t hurt. I have done some reading on some sites about needing to add a lot of heat fast. Can a shrink-wrap gun be used? Also have access to a oxy/acet, but no rose bud tip.

D

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Wesner
    Participant

Bang!!!

It’s off. Heat was the key…forgot my IR thermometer but I layed into it with the shrink wrap gun. Tightened puller once after heat session, then heat again. A few knocks with the hammer didn’t produce anything, though it may have been unseen. Looks like the taper didn’t engage the whole way, I’ll be lapping the prop on install to ensure a good seat. This was the last try before purchasing the Walter puller (which was double the coin I thought it might be…).

D

David Wesner
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I’ve tried a puller similar to the one shown and there is too much over lap between the blades for this to work. Yes, I agree the puller is not HD, and that was my apprehension from not using it with the hydraulic ram. The puller shown looks like 3/4 threaded rod, it would have to be at least 4-5 inches away from center for this too work with this prop.

Yes in hindsight, I didn’t get it hot enough. Probably a bit gun shy from reading some threads from prop guys and the warning about heat and oxy/acet.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

To further  this thread————130F is NOT hot.. “Spit boiling” temp is what you need sometimes———-

But also you need to go about a “stubborn” prop this way..

A really good puller that can actually put 2-3+ tons on pulling power on the hub

The prop nut needs need to  about 1/4″ back from the hub so you don’t get “SLAPPED”

Your need to get the puller under absolute max tension

Then,  you need a real torch–we use a “rose-bud”  with a typical RV propane tank so we can get to HOT very fast–That is the KEY–Expand the prop faster that the shaft

While heating, retighten the puller and hit end with a hammer,  and the hub too as the vibration helps–

It will POP every time, at least when we do it.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

130 is not hot.  The puller looks weak.  I too have 1.5″ shaft and 24″ prop.  My pro-pull would ft your setup.  You can hear me grunting a little (okay, a lot!) here and that’s with the leverage of a 1-1/8″ wrench.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/crv6j59pbw4k40l/prop%20off%20dec2016.wmv?dl=0

David Wesner
    Participant

Grrr..

Well, today didn’t go any better. The shrink wrap gun worked very nice for putting some heat on. It was ten times as fast as a small MAP gas canister and the whole hub and most of the prop was 130 ish. Unfortunately the dang prop isn’t giving up. I will have to look into a different puller. The puller kit had many pieces and mixing and matching I couldn’t find something that I felt was tough enough for the hydraulics.

D

David Wesner
    Participant

IMG_3806

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Would be easy enough to try new grade 8 bolts and plenty of lube on the threads.  Lube on the threads makes a noticeable difference on my pro-pull

David Wesner
    Participant

Part of the kit as far as I know, 5/8???  7/8″ wrench for the nut.

D

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

These bolts you fitted, are they part of the original puller kit or something you purchased?  Are they hardened or just standard grade hardware store stuff?

David Wesner
    Participant

Sorry no pictures. I can take when I’m there today. I was hoping to get this sorted this weekend.

What I have is a hydraulic enerpac kit for cutlass pulling and prop work. With the four blade, it’s hard to get around the blades and the plates with the kit are only set up for 3 and 2 blades it appears. So, I’ve fit together two bolts, fine thread and I am using the wrench to tension. Yes, before heat. I don’t think using the hydraulic ram with two bolts is HD enough.

Real question is the shrink-wrap gun? Doable?

D

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

You have the puller setup in tight tension before applying the heat, right?  (trivial I know but better off asking)  Is it the right puller for the job or something you are trying to make work?  Maybe before going in search of more heat you can rent or borrow a better suited puller?  Any pics of what you are dealing with?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.