• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by john.
  • Creator
    Topic

Thomas Hale
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tadhana
    Engines: QSB 5.9 230 HO

Any idea how many hours you can put on an SMX water pump? We have 5 years and 3600 hours since new instal. Bearings have been greased every 500 hours. Should we send the pump out for service while boat is idle this winter? Point of information, we replace the impeller once a year. Last year the engine ran 964 hours on one impeller.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

john
    Participant

I change quite a few of these impellers. Most are commercial boats. most are on a 2 year schedule and get up to 2k hours on them. They run in clean open ocean seawater. I also service some john deere impellers and change them on a one year schedule. They have a lot less blades to the impeller.

Cheap peace of mind changing fluids and impellers. A one year schedule is fine if it gives you that.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

SMX QSB Pump

Our SMX QSB pump has been stellar as to basically having zero issues.. But, all good things eventually should be looked at…………………………….I’ll let you make the call, but if it’s been in salt water for 5 yrs, I’d say it’s time..

How do the impellers look at 1000 hours or so ? As the cam wears, usually the impeller shows more wear earlier as the hours build.

My pump guy, Brendan, is quite efficient as servicing ( some trick tools, etc) our pumps..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.