• Creator
    Topic

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2

Well, here we are, on a new forum!
    To welcome it in, I’ll post this bit of news, I finally have my new displays fitted up along with the NMEA connect option! My engines are mechanical B’s, so to have the digital configurable display options is very neat.

So pleased I didn’t have to alter the dash layout (this is a repower/rebuild project) to have the factory Cummins analogue display panels fit in the dash area.
    These SMX displays did the trick, and with NMEA option ticked, I can see what’s happening with the engines anywhere on the boat, on the TV in the salon, even on my phone or iPad.
    Best of both worlds I reckon!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

DigitalView Connections

Darrell, the short DigitalView harness connects to the standard 8-pin molded extension harness that should already be run from your engine up to the dash area so no new harnessing should have to be run… see the picture below:

SMX-DigitalView-Parts-Layout

Darrell Mora
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Lady Darlyn
    Engines: 6 BTA 5.9 M3

Mr Woo

Would you have a picture of where on the engine you hook this up and I assume you had to run new wire to the dash panel did it come with long harness. Thanks

Woo
    Participant

Hey Darrell. The boys at Seaboard can no doubt help you with exactly what you need (Corey is your go-to guy).
    If the vessel manufacturer utilised the factory Cummins wiring harness, they the SMX instruments are effectively a “plug’n’play”.
    If you’re wanting the NMEA interface it’s an option you’ll tick, and is well worth it in my opinion.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Darrell here’s the link to the SMX Digitals for the mechanical engines. Ā This link will give you parts overview as well as a good understanding of the system.

Yes it would work but you do need Cummins OEM (VDO) oil pressure and coolant temperature senders which Searay (and other builders) likely remove when they go with a “boat-specific” instrumentation setup. Ā Corey can chime in with more specific questions you may have once you go through this material:

http://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-digitalview-digital-display/

Darrell Mora
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Lady Darlyn
    Engines: 6 BTA 5.9 M3

Good looking set up. I have twin 6BTA 5.9 M3 Would this set up work for my boat Do you have a parts list and info as to where you had to run the cables from engine room to Helm. My boat is a 440 DA SeaRay. I have spare space on mu panel to add the two screens

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Screenshots

Ben,

Another thing I have really enjoyed thanks to the Helm app is the saving of screenshots. Ā I capture my Garmin unit screenshots on the tablet rather than on the MFD. Ā I have wifi in my slip so when I get back into the slip and power off the MFD the tablet automatically latches on to my slip wifi and uploads all of my screenshots to Dropbox. Ā Effortless and seamless..

Woo
    Participant

Gimme, gimme, gimme…. you know my email addy!

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Trouble with the EGT in the Garmin

Ben, I have a NEW NEW update that allows the EGT to broadcast via NMEA from the DigitalViews… send me a note and I can send you the updated software if you want it…

Your setup looks great!

Woo
    Participant

Hi Rob and thanks!
    Yes, running the Garmin Helm app. It’s flawless as you say.

I have two of the Garmin same displays, one in reach of the helm, the other is housed below the hardtop. That particular display feeds (via HDMI) the image to the TV below in the salon, where it’s easily seen by the guys fishing.
    The TV only mimics what the hardtop display is producing, however with the Helm app it’s simple to change remotely, so I can see and scroll through engine pages while waiting for a bight and having a beer šŸ™‚

This is one of the Garmin engine pages. The only reading I’m having trouble getting the Garmin to see is the EGT. It’s on the SMX, but not the Garmin for some reason.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

You should be excited!

That’s one slick setup. Ā I am running the Garmin 7612xsv so I’m assuming you’re using the Garmin Helm app on your phone and ipad/tablet? Ā I use the app all the time, it works flawlessly..

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.