• Creator
    Topic

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

I have a new to me Tiara with Ver 1.0 Diesel Views and 500QSC engines (2006). The fuel management was not hooked up to the vessel views from the factory and I am seeking info on how to do this if it is even possible.
    I have not been able to find much online about this subject.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Update:

My gauge on the tank is mechanical. If I use the below, can I convert to electrical and run to madusa harness? If so, what is the wiring schematic?

Thanks

Mike Mason
    Participant

Thanks. I am going to do this. Mike

Dave Carlson
    Participant

There is no harness, you just run wires from each tank unit to the grey connectors on the Medusa harness (see Corey’s picture). These connectors have a cap on them and my question in my previous post was is something available to plug into these to connect the wires to. If not I will cut them off and use solderless connectors with shrink wrap.
    One thing I did learn is if you get the tank lead and the ground mixed up your smartcraft will show 0 gal. You just need to reverse them and the graph and gallons will appear like they should.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mike Mason
    Participant

Dave. Thanks. Was there a harness used to run to the sender?

Dave Carlson
    Participant

The connectors are under the engine about 1 foot from the 40 pin plug in. Mine are labeled so it is easy to figure out.
    After seeing this I remembered plugging in a new depth sounder a few years back on a gas boat with smartcraft.

Mike Mason
    Participant

Is the harness you tapped into under the helm or down in the engine bay where the 40 pin harness plugs into the motor?

Dave Carlson
    Participant

Corey’s info on the tank sender’s connection is correct. I did it today and got fuel level readings on the Smartcraft.
    The only problem now is if I try to use the original VDO fuel guage on the same sender, the smartcraft reading goes haywire which I expected. Do I need smartcraft fuel guages to make this work?

I would also like to know if the 2 terminal connectors are available to plug into the Medusa harness.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Keep us posted on this as my fuel info is not set up on my vessel view 4. I get gph reading but no tank info. Always shows as low. I have to use the guage on the tank at the sending unit. Mike

Refer to the link above about the Medusa harness… this is where to connect your fuel level float sending units… that is how you can supply the instruments with an actual fuel level, not a “calibrated” display fuel level.

Mike Mason
    Participant

Keep us posted on this as my fuel info is not set up on my vessel view 4. I get gph reading but no tank info. Always shows as low. I have to use the guage on the tank at the sending unit. Mike

Dave Carlson
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I was not clear but the fuel tank senders are not connected to the Smartcaft.
    The info provided above should help.
    As usual this is the place to go to tap a vast well of knowledge !

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Not 100% clear on exactly what you’re asking but if you’re trying to connect fuel level sending units to your digital instruments you can connect the analog senders (240-33 ohm) to the Medusa harness.

Read this article for reference:

Understanding your SmartCraft 1.0 ā€œMedusaā€ Vessel Adapter Harness

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

When you say you fuel management isnā€™t hooked up Iā€™m assuming you are not getting a MPG reading but your GPH is displayed.

There should be a NMEA connection in the wiring harness someplace, usually under the dash. Itā€™sshould be labeled so you will just have to dig around. Should be a blue and a white wire, hook those to a NMEA source and you should get what your looking for,

Phil

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.