• Creator
    Topic

roborr24
    Participant

Hello, I have a Seafirst ram that I have installed and am attempting to bleed.  My question is specific to the bleeder valves that come on it. When I attempt to back them off even a 1/4 turn to allow fluid to escape and begin bleeding, fluid leaks out of the threads where it screws into the T fitting. On the sea star bleeder valves I have used in the past you could back them off almost two full turns and the only place fluid would escape is out the end.  What am I doing wrong? How to I open these valves to allow purging with a power purge without fluid leaking all over the place and air entering the system through the threads. Again, the leak is not happening on the nipple connection, but rather where the bleed valve screws into the T fitting. Hopefully it’s a DuH answer that I can’t see the forest for the trees on! 

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Pictures , pictures and pictures.  That will help.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

No one yet?

A photo or three may help.   Good photos that show clearly what you are describing.

I suspect it does not matter where the oil vents from as long  as it vents.   Undo the minimum needed to get the oil to drain.           

Have you contacted some fitting suppliers such as the supplier, a hydraulics shop for alternate actual bleeder valves., or at least a real valve.  If you go a ball valve then make sure it is rated for at least 1,000PSI working pressure.    YOU may not be able to produce that pressure  but if you intend to install or have a autopilot , those can produce pressures of 1,000 when working hard. 

With some different fittings you should be able to effect a real shutoff  and provide for a hose fitting so the oil  can be directed to a pan or collection bottle or jug.

Figure out how you are going to secure the handles ahead of time.     I don’t have this problem but for similar drains I have shortened a longer than needed handle and drilled a hole in the remaining handle end so a Tyrap can be used to secure the handle from accidental operation.

There are other types of drains that may work but I like the B.V.     My personal opinion.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.