• Creator
    Topic

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Just ran across an ad for an item called “Speedseal Life” , it’s an impeller cover with a teflon disc and  wingnuts, said to double impeller life, and make impeller changes less painful.

I don’t have problems with impeller life, as I change them (Seamax) annually anyway, but I do run a single engine boat in some remote areas, known for their nasty conditions, so my interest in this gizmo is in the area of making the pump as bulletproof as possible.

Has anybody used this, or have any input on such a thing?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Thanks for the replies, and yes, their website was a bit hokey!

The O ring cover with thumbscrews is not a half bad idea though, sometimes getting a wrench in there along with a hand to turn it (blind) is asking a lot, and paper gaskets are too delicate to be using where you can’t see.

Rob, I’m not a movie guy, I just like the word “gizmo”.

I looked it up, and it means “An unspecified or unspecifiable object; something one does not know the name of, or does not wish to name”.

Fair enough!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Gizmo >>>> Gremlin

Tony’s reply made me laugh.  I started typing a nearly identical post last night but figured since I had no personal experience with the product I would hold off and see if any others might have some real use feedback. From what I noticed in the videos, google, etc it appears to be more of a “small engine” product.

Remember the movie, Gizmo was small and cute but could become a Gremlin and we’re all here to keep those Gremlins OUT of the engine room!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Without being too negative, it is just what you said– a GIZMO. Certainly not applicable to any larger pump as you have the front side of the impeller and the vanes itself that it does not address, and they both make some serious heat when dry.

Also, I looked at every “test report”–Not one was an actual  “test report”–all were just their ad rewritten with some added gobble-d-gook added for flavor in a couple of them…

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.