• Creator
    Topic

Dalton
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA

My boat is a 1999 with 6BTAs and new batteries. It’s done this since i bought the boat (3-4 months ago) and the survey mentioned nothing about it. When I turn the key the warning buzzer goes off, gauges activated, etc but then when I goto start the engines nothing. I turn the key off and do it again and they start. Both engines do this. Its really random also, sometimes they start first try and sometimes it takes 3 tries.

When this happens the engine doesn’t turn over. It just does nothing. I checked the cable connections and they appear to be very clean. I read one article where someone said they had to rerun the batteries cables (too many bends) and it solved their starting problem.

Before attempting to do this what do you suggest I test/try ?

Maybe at the key/ignition itself it has a bad connection? it’s just odd that both engines do this.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Joe Witt
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Witt n Wild
    Engines: two 8.3 C's 450 diamonds

I only had issues with one motor. I changed it out to a higher amperage switch and it works fine ever since.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Dennis,

Glad to see you come aboard.. You have a couple of decades ++ Ā  of great hands-on experiences as to what it takes to keep things ship-shape on a smaller boat.. Please, share them as you can..

So, how many tuna this year?

Tony

Aluminator

ALUMINATOR
    Participant

Key Switch

I would also start with the easy stuff. Check the key switch, maybe even wire in a temporary Ā push button but you might have to shut off manually depending on how you wire it.

Dalton
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA

It doesn’t happen to both engines at the same time. It actually seems like the starboard side has the glitch more often.

Thanks Corey, I will look into those things.

Joe, that’s interesting! So each switch was faulty on your boat? Did you replace it or just clean the connections?

Joe Witt
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Witt n Wild
    Engines: two 8.3 C's 450 diamonds

I had a battery switch that was causing the same problem you describe. Sometimes it wouldĀ start ok other times it took several attempts to start. Traced it to the battery switch and it worked fine ever since.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Bad connection?

Ken,

If both engines are experiencing intermittent starting, it could make sense that the issues are “before” the engine… does it happen to BOTH engines at the same time?

How is your boats DC distribution system setup?

Before embarking on a large undertaking, I think it’s best to start with the small things first… check all of your connections and make sure nothing is loose and/or corroded. Pay special attention to any in-line battery switches as a bad connection here will show good voltage but will not allow any current through the cables to the starter. I would disconnect and re-connect the cables using some nice lithium grease di-electric, etc.

How long are the cable runs from the batteries to the engines and what size cables are they?

I would start with that and see if by re-connecting all of your runs, the problem doesn’t sort itself out…

Next steps would probably involve a volt meter, etc.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.