• Creator
    Topic

Michael Walker
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SaltWalker
    Engines: QSM11

We recently installed a new exhaust manifold and hot housing for my turbo. Approximately 1,200 hours later and turbo is cracked at the flange and down the middle. We were sold graphite gaskets for the exhaust ports. One of them blew out so we have a ton of soot. My main question is should we continue using the graphite gaskets or use the thin metal gaskets? Also, should we use a graphite gasket on the turbo flange, if they make one?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

QSM11 & graphite exhaust gaskets

Like any “compressible gasket” they need a retorque after one or two hot/cold cycles..Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

As to the entire exhaust design, totally sucks with no long term cure. Basically, nothing has changed as to the on-goingĀ  issues when 1st released in 1999.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Cpt. MW,

Since you appear to be new to the forum and have QSM11 engines……Ā  Any chance your props need some work to get the fuel burn on these engines down to what Tony recommends for longer manifold and turbo life?Ā  20 gallons per hour, per engine @2100 rpm which is the QSM 535 curve.Ā  You might have loading conditions that are leading to your current situation.Ā  Check out the Tony’s Tips section of this website and see that there are a few articles explaining the quirk of the “Dry” QSM11.Ā 

If you are over prop’d then your manifolds and turbos are taking the brunt of the heat abuse and they tend to “give” when put under heat stress for extended periods.

Having EGT gauges can be a good way of monitoring exhaust health longer term.

chrism6784
    Participant

Hmm I canā€™t attest to the graphites yet. I just replaced my metal gaskets with them. Now Iā€™m wondering if I should go back to metal?

I have 1200 hours on my qsc and just had to replace the gaskets for the exhaust side of turbo to elbow

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.