• Creator
    Topic

Bobby Harvey
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sea Gypsy
    Engines: QSC 8.3 500 HO

Hi everybody! I have a QSC 8.3 500 HO driving a ZF 305 3A transmission. I’m trying to find 12 couplings bolts (and nuts). 5/8″ fine thread (18) x 2″ long – 12 point “extra hard”. Impossible to find (on this planet). Any help locating these would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Bobby

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bobby Harvey
    Participant

Thanks Gene. Very helpful information. I will go with this.Ā 

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Ensure the clamping faces of the flanges are free of any marks or raised area.Ā  Ā Likely not a problem but a light stoning with a watchfull eye for any raised spots.Ā  Ā  Torque each bolt on opposites sides of the flanges and do it in several stages for the most even torque application.

Gene Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Yorkshire Rose
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

The recommended torque for 5/8-18 (grade 8) bolts is on the order of 240 ft-lbs. Good luck reaching that torque in the cramped space available. Not easy! Any stronger bolts with a higher torque spec would be a waste of time.

Keep in mind that the role of bolts in this application is squeezing the flanges together, not by directly carrying the rotational load. The rotation load is carried by the friction between the flanges. Each properly torqued bolt provides over 20,000 pounds of compressive force, so the total friction between the flanges is very large.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bobby Harvey
    Participant

Thanks Tony. Rob is suggesting grade 8 bolts. That will simplify matters considerably. Do you agree? I’m not an engineer, couch or otherwise, I’m just a retired construction manager. LOLĀ  I’m feeling my way through this yacht business with everyone’s help.

Bobby

Bobby Harvey
    Participant

Thanks Rob. So you think grade 8 bolts will be good enough? I can find those all day long. I was trying to get the same ones that were originally on it, 12 point extra hardened, 5/8, 18 x 2″ long. But if grade 8 will be ok that makes it a lot easier.Ā 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

ZF 305 Series Output Coupling

The bolt arrangement and coupling dimensionsĀ  , IMO, is a couch engineers wet dream.. Extremely difficult to deal with

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

McMaster-Carr has 5/8″-18 Grade 8’s in 2″ lengths.Ā  Torque charts available on Google.Ā  Be sure to grease them.

Bobby Harvey
    Participant

QSC 8.3 Coupling Bolts – Torque Value

Also, I am having trouble finding out the torque value for these bolts. Can anyone help me with that as well?

Thanks again.

Bobby

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.