• Creator
    Topic

Dennis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Fish Tales II
    Engines: Cummins QSC 490

Need information on connecting QSC 490 to ZF286A.  The gears have Flywheel coupling & SAE3 housing adapter.  What else is used in this connection and is the SAE 3 the correct one for these engines?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dennis
    Participant

Removal

Please just remove my post.  I must of have misunderstood the purpose of this forum.  When I called to inquire about ordering some parts the person on the phone instructed me to post any questions I might have to promote the forum.  It seems to have bothered you which wasn’t my intention.

Dennis
    Participant

ok sorry I ask

Tony Athens wrote:

How could anyone realistically comment on this with knowing ZERO about the boat or the application?

If you want some inpu, t you need to spend some time telling me EVERYTHNG about the boat that could affect the prop size and final performance, and, it needs to be accurate.

Tony

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

How could anyone realistically comment on this with knowing ZERO about the boat  or the application?

If you want some inpu, t you need to spend some time telling me EVERYTHNG about the boat that could affect the prop size and final performance, and, it needs to be accurate.

Tony

Dennis
    Participant

Prop specs

According to the prop calculator on boat diesel if I use the 1.75 ratio gears I will need a 24 x 35 to 37 inch prop.  I don’t see this as practically available.  Is this too severe of pitch to be practical?  With a 1.48 ratio I could use my current props in the 24 x 25 size area.  1.5″ AQ 22 tapered shafts.  I’m not sure if I could increase the diameter as I’m not where I can measure my clearance at this time.  What is your suggestion?

Tony Athens

Yes..  #2 & #3 share the same torsional coupling.

Tony

Dennis
    Participant

Coupling

Will this coupling work with the QSC 490 or will it need to be changed when I change thee adapter from SAE 3 to SAE 2?

Dennis
    Participant

Thanks

Looks like I’ll be looking to swap out the parts I have for the ZF 286A SAE#3 for a #2 adapter and appropriate flex plate.  The gears I have are new 1.75 with SAE3 I would even prefer to trade for the 1.49 ratio with SAE #2 if I can find some.  Thanks for giving me some answers on the situation.  Anyone who may have the SAE#2 parts I need or be interested in trading gears please contact me.

Tony Athens

Normally that is all you need .. The correct torsional coupling and the correct bellhousing adapter for your engine, and the correct hardware to attach all .. If you are not sure, then you need to post good pictures.

As you your engine bellhousing, most of the early QSC’s had SAE# 2 housings. You need to measure it.

Go to “Tony’s Tips”–there is a SAE chart there.

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.