• Creator
    Topic

David R Flamer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tax Break
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

Group:

When changing zincs I pulled the end caps of the heat exchangers and one had a bit more deposits than I would care for. One was far worse than the other, but I’d like to remove them both and either service them myself or have them done. Either way, I want to do the R&R myself.

Draining the raw water side is no problem. On the coolant side, it would seem that saving the coolant is the way to go. I can’t find a specification sheet that reports the total capacity to have an idea as to how much I’ll be dealing with. I’d like to try to find the best way to get that coolant drained without making a complete mess.

Any guidance or tips would be appreciated.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Gene Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Yorkshire Rose

I have a 2005 that also does not have the convenient drain plug. You can either pull the turbo hose or the hose that goes up to the expansion tank. I choose the expansion tank hose as it is a bit easier to deal with.

Either way is likely to be a bit messier than using the drain plug.

David Pantiliano
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Headstrong
    Engines: QSB 5.9 380s

Servicing heat exchangers and replacing coolant

I have 2004 QSB 5.9s as well but donā€™t have a plug connection where the picture shows on either engine. Is there an alternate way someone recommends to drain from??

Just pull the hose from the turbo?

David R Flamer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tax Break

Thank you all for the responses and great tips. As it would figure, there is plenty of room on the port side (HX on the inside) but not on the stbd.

Tony, if I don’t service them myself they may make it up to you guys to be cleaned up.

A Happy New Year to all.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

And two things that could come in handy: A helper and a shop-vac (hopefully not needed but good to have just incase)

Plan ahead too and investigate how much room you have under the drain port as to possibly needing a smaller transfer container. My current boat allows for a 5 gallon bucket but as we are well aware every engine room will be different..

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Two clean 5 gallon buckets would more than cover you. You can new ones with tops at the home improvement store for a few bucks.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

QSB 5.9 Coolant Drain location

Look at the pic.. Remove the plug and then remove the main coolant cap..

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.