• Creator
    Topic

Patrick
    Participant
    Engines: QSB 5.9 330

I was half way to Catalina on my Tiara when the starboard prop wrapped up a semi submerged heavy duty line. Probably fell off of a commercial vessel.

I was at 2250 RPMs at about 23knots. Engine stalled fast and hard with a loud bang. Ā It did not slowly come to a stop.

So far the prop, shaft, and strut are bent. The shipyard is removing the transmission to check the coupler between the engine and transmission. Ā Should have an answer back after that inspection tomorrow. Ā They also said they would put aĀ 

dial indicator on the end of the crankshaft to see if there was any twisting of the crank.

Does that sound adequate to make sure the damage didn’t go any further? Ā Any other suggestions that we should look at?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Patrick
    Participant

Sea Trial went real well. After having both props balanced and the starboard driveline essentially replaced, the boat runs noticeably smoother with less vibration. Overall I am pleased that my Tiara is back on the water running great. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Most were spot on!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

That is good stuff Patrick, thanks for keeping this updated. Ā You ended up with a nice upgrade to a better gear!

Patrick
    Participant

Update

BIG THANK YOU goes out to Tony for the suggestion to have the clutch plates inspected. Ā After having the gearbox inspected, the ZF service center found burnt and warped clutch plates along with noticeable end play on the output shaft. Ā The most prudent and economical choice was to replace the older ZF80A with a newer ZF85A. They are going to replace the torsion coupler as well as it showed signs of play.

Both props and shaft were refurbished at Wilminton in Long Beach, CA. Ā A new strut was ordered from Tiara.It had to be made at the foundry as no struts were in stock.Ā 

Hope to splash the boat in about 2 weeks.Ā 

Great resource here for boat owners!

-Patrick

Patrick
    Participant

Markel has been good so far. Very quick to respond and answer back emails. Ā Their claims adjuster has asked to see all areas of damage to be photographed and measured to show a need for repair or replacement. Ā Sometimes it seems extreme, but they are not going to pay for anything that wasn’t damaged. Ā I guess you can’t blame them.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Markel Insurance

Sorry to hear about your mishap Ā  I have Markel Insurance also. How have they been to deal with?

Patrick
    Participant

Thanks Tony. I passed the info along to Steve at the Dana Point Shipyard. I asked him to inspect the clutch plates for damage.

Yes, Rob. Markel American is the insurance company. Hopefully back in the water soon. Going to have to wait a few weeks for the strut to be cast at the foundry.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Insurance

I’m sure this base is covered but never good to assume — Ā You have your insurance company involved, right?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Sounds like they are doing their “due diligence” if the yard crew is competent, Ā but as to the crankshaft on the engine, that is just “milking the issue” ..

What you or ? Ā should be worry about are the internals on the clutch in the gear that was engaged when you wrapped the rope. The starboard engine would normally have a right hand prop which would mean the “A” clutch in that gear would have taken the abuse–That particular gear does break clutch plates in circumstances such as you experienced.. The ZF80A was always a “suspect gear” and became obsolete about 6-8 yrs ago and was replaced by the ZF85A ( same externally but with many upgraded internals) .

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.