• Creator
    Topic

Edward Schulman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Moon River
    Engines: JD 6068

Is this idea too far out of the box? I have been using epoxy on end nut for some years as suggested by T.A. . So why not after proper fitting of key and prop use epoxy on the whole works?Ā  Would that not help with crevice corrosion and potential movement. Would the wet epoxy also serve as lube to tighten down the prop?Ā  With a good fit a torch is often needed for removealĀ and should also work with epoxy?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Rob’s method will 100% stop corrosion between the prop and shaft as if fills all the imperfections with Ā “good stuff” for lack of a better way to describe it..

Only the second nut with epoxy..

Cotter key is optional as all it does is wind up monofilament line.. If you have a castellated nut and install it right, then it offers protection.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

…..Ā I got into the habit of using the helmet for most sailboats with booms low enough to worry me since I usually single hand.

Now that’s using your head! Ā Seriously, smart move..

Edward Schulman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Moon River
    Engines: JD 6068

Rob I was sailing.Ā  The helmet is a wind surfers rig with retractable sun wind and sprayĀ face guard somewhat like a light motorcycle rig. The boat was a 20+ K tri with a low head knockerĀ boom. Actually I got into the habit of using the helmet for most sailboats with booms low enough to worry me since I usually single hand.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

That is a bit over the top….. Rectorseal the shaft and spray the prop hub bore with WD40 and then install. That will help with crevice corrosion and lube. Do you lap with valve grinding compound first?

Nice avatar picture – what is it you are doing there?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.