• Creator
    Topic

Mark Adams
    Participant
    Engines: 6CT and Onan MDKAW

Greetings… new guy here. Looks to be a great resource. My situation is that I have an assumed oil pan failure on my Onan MDKAW mounted in a Nordic Tug 42. Summarizing…

• The boat sprouted an oil leak when it went on the hard a couple of years ago. This ~7 mo after going on the hard.Ā 
    • I mixed a quart of oil with some tracer UV dye and put it in thru the dipstick hole. Multiple days latency before a significant leak broke out, which took several days to empty that quart.Ā 
    • The oil level afterwards is below the dipstick. A welding rod shows <0.25″ in the pan.Ā 
    • I am assuming this is a pan failure.Ā 
    • I cannot see the exit point anywhere around the engine and partly due to the design of the generator and partly due to being ancient and used up, I cannot see between the generator and the pan.Ā 

Some questions please..

• How big a pita is it to pull/swap or repair the pan in the engine room?Ā 
    • Is there any known reliable repair procedure to the pan? I’m a fairly good machinist… weak welder but know many good ones.
    • Are pans available? I can’t find one.Ā 
    • Is there a resource where you can cross-reference the kubota engine and buy a pan from them?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.Ā 

M-A

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Onan Support

My personal experience it that ONAN support is not good in S. Calif. I know I cannot do much with them.

Wish I had had a better answer.Ā 

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.