• Creator
    Topic

Nathan Brady
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Checkmate
    Engines: 450hp 6cta

Just went to change the oil for the first time on my new to me boat with a 6cta and i used the drain hose and pumped it out as i did on my old boat with the same engine but only got about 2.5-3 gallons of oil out. My old boat with the same engine would pull close to 5 gallons out. So i started to poke around and i noticed that the drain hose is plumbed into the drain plug thatā€™s located in the side of the oil pan. Which sits about 2ā€ higher than the drain plug on the front or rear of the pan. I have a couple questions, 1 is that something i can work with by leaving some old oil in the pan and just changing the oil more frequently? I donā€™t prefer that if so so my next question is i can access the drain plug on the front side of the oil pan, if i take that plug out is it the same size plug hole as the side drain plug? If so i can just relocate my drain hose to the front of the engine and plug the side off?Ā 

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

See attached for drain pan plugs.

I have same issue.Ā  When I’m done draining the bulk via the hose I put a container under the front plug and let another quart drain out while I’m doing other stuff..

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.