• Creator
    Topic

Jeremy Bendler
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Schedule Sea
    Engines: QSM11 670s

If you have read my previous questions and post, you’ll know I am new at this.

I have twin QSM11 670s in my boat. When running the boat back from OCMD to Baltimore via C&D canal, one dip stick popped out, causing a mess. I got that cleaned up and contained. An hour later the dip stick on the other engine popped out. Cleaned that up.

Mechanic buddy is suggesting that I need to change the oil backflow filter. I cant seem to find a lot of detail on this. I believe the black canister hanging with silver clips houses this filter. I wont be at the boat for another month but I hope to get a little background on this filter here, and get a part number if possible.

These were the first instances of self-ejecting dipsticks in the 500 hours of use since I purchased the boat. Boat was due for an oil change which I completed promptly after arriving in Baltimore.

Thanks for any and all info.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1———————————Check your oil capacity per this article.. To do it right, you need to understand OIL PAN Capacity and draining the oil pan 100% dry. Then add the proper amount if oil to your oil pan and check your dip sick markings…..Understand this is done with the boat at the dock and the engine never started nor is the oil filter touched.

#2– Read this a few times– https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-pan-capacities-for-cummins-marine-engines/

The QSM 11 with a front sump is very susceptible to over filling–IMO, running on the low mark is best

#3– Canister on the side on the engine– Take it apart and clean all 100%–Replace the element in it.. No instruction needed– This is simple mechanics 101

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.