• Creator
    Topic

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

The attached photos are of a brand new aftercooler that was dismantled to grease per Seaboards proto call. I am assuming this is condensation from assembly at the factory. There was already some corrosion around the o-ring!
    This is a good example to show why Tony’s procedure should be followed even when the parts are new.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Carlson
    Participant

Thanks Tony and all that responded. I re-assembled the Seaboard way and went boating.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Welcome to Cummins assembly practices using “minimum-ly” trained employees trained by teachers that do not really have a true understanding of what they are trying to accomplish either. Kinda like “monkey see-monkey do”..

Look at this this way, at least they are trying to do a better job +& I commend them for that.

We see this quite often.

I’d just do what needs to be done and move on..

Tony

firehoser75
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA M3-330 HP

That is NOT how I would expect a brand new (full priced) unit to look when disassembled prior to it’s first installation. I think a new (actually brand new) unit should be sent to you at no additional cost to replace this one. jmho.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

2nd pic looks like salt on air side??? Was this installed and taken out? That canā€™t be right

Dave Carlson
    Participant

Rob, The photos were taken the day it came off the truck from the Cummins center in Atlanta. The date stamped on the core was October 2019. You are correct about the grease. There was a small amount of what looked like Alco metal lube around the O-rings. I too had issues with what I paid $3700 for but I needed the boat put back together quickly and figured I had little standing as a private owner, not a “Cummins” tech who just dismantled a new part.
    At least the work lowered the charge air readings by 30 deg.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

New? New old stock? or ??

Where did you by that? If you paid full retail for a NEW a/c and that’s what you got I’d have an issue with that.

BTW, that third picture shows some green alco grease, I know Cummins started using that on the aftercoolers some time ago (100% due to going to school on Tony). And if that’s how much grease they are using per unit, I personally will go through more grease in a year as a one man show than they will use assembling hundreds of engines a year!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.