• Creator
    Topic

firehoser75
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA M3-330 HP

I have a small coolant leak where the turbo bolts on to the exhaust manifold. It only leaks above 2200 rpm and even then only about 1/8 cup (or less). I am replacing that gasket to stop the leak, so both the exhaust elbow (new in 2017 not a doomed to fail unit) and the turbo have to be removed. I have an Envirovent system and also only use 13 liters of oil in my oil pan (6bta – 2002).
    My question is how do I do a basic (without disassembly of the turbo) clean up of the turbo? Do I use brake cleaner or Seafoam sprayed in both ends with it off the engine? Do I just use a small toothbrush to loosen the carbon (exhaust side) and then vacuum it out? What works best or should I just leave well enough alone as everything is running great now?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your exhaust riser is 100% safe and your turbo is fine–Don’t touch the exhaust outlet side.. Your could clean up the outer turbo face by block sanding to give it a clean smooth gasket sealing surface. Use never-seize on the mounting hdw threads.

Clean the air side side by removing the big clip and tapping off the air housing. Clean all with spray brake clean or Lacquer thinner using a paint brush.. Easy to do while the turbo is ON the engine is it is your vise for holding all steady/solid to work on.

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.

firehoser75
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA M3-330 HP

Photos of Exhaust

Thanks for the reply Tony. These 3 photos are not the best quality, but they are at hand now. Hope this gives you an idea.
    Tom

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Use the below 3 links for reference.. You want to clean the airside of the turbo ( big clip) when the tubo is still on the engine ————- way easier to deal with.

How to Repair a Leaky Turbo Gasket on a Cummins Marine QSC 8.3 Engine

Changing a Turbo to Exhaust Manifold Gasket on a Cummins Mid-Range Engine

Cummins 6BTA 370 Diamond Turbo Clip

Your current exhaust–Post a few pics..

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.