• Creator
    Topic

Johan
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Prestige
    Engines: qsc 8.3

Hey,

I have placed a vacuum meter on my Racor filters but I do not see that the needle comes off the 0, the meters stay at 0.
    I have the engines running at 2000 rpm at the port.
    The filters are 10 microns and have been used for 70 hours and have consumed about 2000 liters of fuel. Is it true that it can be that the needle of the meter stays at 0?
    Meters are new (and tested) and the same result for all 2 engines.
    Gr, Johan

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

If everything you have posted is accurate, then the answer in simple. You are basically “gravity feeding” your engines and until the element loads with diesel fines, you are not going to see much on your gauge.. Try switching to a 2-mic element–That should cause them to load faster..

Tony

Johan
    Participant

Hi Tony,
    I estimate that the fuel is 20 cm above the filter with the idea that the pickup in the tank is at the bottom of the tank, I think there is sufficient siphon action.

Tony in the story above, I give the following, Engines come at speed BB 2620 rpm and SB 2650 and consume around 97 liters per hour.

This is not in the port but on full power sailing at sea.

I see no leakage of fuel at the filters and the vacuum meters, it amazes me that I simply do not see an increase of the vacuum meter at full speed.

I assume that I have very clean fuel consumption?

First photo before sailing 2nd photo to full speed.

Gr, Johan

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Where is the level of your fuel in the tanks in relation to the TOP of the RACOR??…

Also, common rail engines DO NOT FLOW much fuel in neutral regardless of RPM’s, and about 1/2 the GPH overall to the mechanical equal that uses a Bosch P7100 pump.

Tony

Johan
    Participant

Hi Rob,

This I had already done and then the meters go up the red, but I thought that the meters always go up slightly when the engine is running. Could it be that the filters are still supper clean after 70 hours of sailing? Or would false air be sucked in? Engines come well at speed BB 2620 rpm and SB 2650 and consume around 97 liters per hour. Gr Johan

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I could not tell in your pics where your fuel supply shut-off valves are? I don’t see it right at your Racor so maybe just one at the tank pickup? At the dock, sit in front of the Racor and watch the needle as someone shuts off the fuel supply to the engine. Wait and watch the needle — it should begin to show vacuum before the engine starts to starve for fuel. Open the valve up before she stutters..

Johan
    Participant

I have fully sailed but the vacuum meters do not come from the 0.

Johan
    Participant

We’re going to do that Saturday! thanks.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Get her out and run her under load, ie cruising. No load at port (dockside in neutral) wonā€™t show you a real reading.

Phil

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.