• Creator
    Topic

Mike Gilbert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Branch Office
    Engines: Cummins 480ce

We went for our first run on Saturday, Ran for about 8 miles at 700 rpm, boat ran fine. When I went to power up the starboard engine would not power up past 1400 rpm. Rough running and white smoke. After a few minutes I tried again and it was able to get on plane, ran for about 10 more miles at 2100 rpm, all is well. Docked the boat for a few hours, ran back to marina at 2100 no problems, went back to 700 rpm for a few miles, tried to plane the boat, same issue as before, motor wouldn’t power up, white smoke. The motor runs fine under 1200 rpm. Even in neutral it will not power up past 1400. I am hoping this is a filter problem, as I haven’t changed them yet this year. Any thoughts?
    I should also mention when is was running along at 750 there wasn’t any smoke, when it did get on plane there was no smoke.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Gilbert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Branch Office
    Engines: Cummins 480ce

Loss of Power

Yes it was the first run after winter layup. I store my boat in heated storage, the fuel tanks were 95% full, and diesel stabilizer was put in them. re-Commissioning consisted of changing oil and filters, but did not change fuel filters. The filters have approximately 3000+ gal of fuel run through them. As I said ran fine at low speed, only when I power up the starboard motor will not go past 13k or 14k and there is whitish smoke. Even in neutral. BUT there were 2 times during my trip when it did power up. Go figure

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

First Run ?

Mike, “First run”? after what? Based on your location sounds like first run after a looong winter layup? What was done during that layup as to decomissioning, offseason maintenance and recomissioning? Give us some history and photos of all would be important too.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.