• Creator
    Topic

Robert McManus
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Game Plan
    Engines: cummins qsb 5.9 380

On 19 July our property was struck by lightning.  The lightning struck a tree then tracked down into a gazebo where it finally went to “ground”.  A significant number of things were affected including some random systems in our 35 foot express boat that was in a boat lift about 50 feet away.  The boat equipment affected were a) the Charles 30AMP battery charger- toast, b) main bilge pump and float- toast, c) LED spreader lights- dead, d) LED cabin lights- dead, e) LED anchor light-dead, f) NMEA network to VHF radio- ICOM NMEA dead, g) Glendenning EEC-3 engine control system- mother board and 2 other PCBs smoked, and h) The Starboard Cummins 5.9 QSB.

Condition of boat before failure- all breakers/switches were open on distribution panels (120VAC and 12VDC) except 120VAC shore power and 120VAC supply to Battery charger.  Hardwired circuits from batteries are Main Bilge pump and the ECMs for the Port and Stbd Cummins QSBs.

Immediately after the strike we were able to start Port engine but the STBD had aJ39 data” error on the SMARTVIEW. Initially we swapped the port engine SIM to starboard but still had alarm.  We then unplugged the ECM fuse and plugged it back in. Now we had a different alarm “123 Sensor Boost Low” (note engine is not running at this point??).

About a week later we got the repaired Glendenning EEC-3 back and installed it.  This cleared the throttle alarms on the SMARTVIEW screens but we still had the “123 boost low” alarm on the STBD engine when it was not running.  We started the engine which fired a little slow (5-8 second crank), had a small amount of whitish smoke that cleared up after about 3-5 seconds.  Within a few seconds the “123” alarm cleared. Problem is the engine at idle (590-600 RPMs) is steady but “sounds” a little like my old 7.3 PowerStroke at idle. It definitely had a different idle sound than the Port Engine. We throttled it up a little (1000RPMs) in “Warm-Up” mode and it seemed to respond normal but still sounded a little barky. When we stopped the engine the 123 alarm came back.

Not sure if we should now try the SIM swap (Port(good) to STBD) again, swap the boot pressure sensor, or call the local Cummins man to hook up the “laptop” to it.  I’m guessing the sound is due to the injection timing being off a little which is causing the slightly louder idle.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

pwrobert
    Participant

Been There Done That

Right after doing my full repower and more of my 38 ft boat back in 2019 and just 3 months before a planned trip to the Bahamas I too was hit by lightening while bringing my boat home from the supposedly “final” launch to change out the props to ones with a lesser pitch.  On mile form my dock lightening hit the water nearby and knocked out all the electronics expept one old style sitex bottom rocorder.

Because the 6BTAs are mechanical they just kept on runnning until I was at the dock.  When I did turn it off one engine did not restart because of a blown fuse in my start wiring circuit between the key and harness.

All of the GPS chartplotters, a freezer, one the of A /C circulating pumps, Autopilot , rudder angle Sensor, VHF radio, stereos and speakers, some random panel circuit breakers and a bunch of randon 12volt fuses.  Onboard PC and Sunlight screen were ok. I’m sure I forgot some of the little stuff. 

But you will likely sind things down the road that no longer work or have a blown fuse or breaker (breaker may be ok – just rripped but could be now weak or bad).  Oh yeah some boards in the generator were toast and a few engine senders.  

Replace what you can find at the dock and turn on everthing that you can.  Then go for a check-ride and turn on everything that you can again.  Be methodical and check running lights, windlass, everything.  Else it may not be working when you need it.

I made the trip BTW.

Robert McManus
    Participant

test

test response

Robert McManus
    Participant

lightning sucks

We had the Cummins Rep aboard the boat yesterday.  We told him of the lightning strike near the boat while it was in the lift. We told him of Glendenning’s repair to the EEC-3 control computer that required 3 boards to be replaced, rebooting the ECM and SIM that cleared the J39 SIM alarm.  Now we have the “123 Lows Boost” alarm on the SmartView. We told him we replaced the 3971106 boost pressure/temperature sensor that had no effect.  We also noted that the SmartView was showing 0.3PSI for the boost pressure (both old and new sensors) when the engine was not running. 

He hooked up the laptop and ran the engine.  The program detected multiple faults on the “Sensor Supply 2” bus.  He also saw that the Rail Fuel Pressure (#5297641) was reading 17,390 psi when the engine was running and not running.  When he disconnected the Rail Fuel pressure sensor the Boost Pressure went to a normal reading of 0.0 PSI with the engine not running.  Additionally, the ground in the Sensor Supply 2 circuit cleared.  We got a new 5297641 Rail Fuel Sensor, installed it. The new Rail Fuel sensor cleared the boost pressure alarm, we now had normal boost pressure readings, normal fuel rail pressure readings and the Sensor Supply 2 faults all cleared.  We did a sea trial at 100% load and achieved rated speed of 3000 RPMs with normal temps and pressures.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.