• Creator
    Topic

james
    Participant

I’d like to share some great customer service items with the group. I have very old 6cta’s, the ones with the nippon denso pumps and the upside down sherwood pump. I’d done a rebuild on the sherwoods, 2 years ago for around 950 for both pumps, and they were failing again. Being frustrated with that, I decided to go the SeaMax route and bombarded Tony, Brad and Corey with questions. They answered every question quickly and accurately and helped me construct the correct order. That customer service and knowledge base is why I do most of my purchases from SBMAR even though I’m located in Clearwater Florida. I also have to congratulate them on this terrific forum and that it’s free. I still subscribe to boat diesel, but I really don’t like the immature manner which the current administrator of Boat Diesel refuses any posts which reference Tony or SBMAR, that is simply childish and unnecessary.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Tony

Itā€™s your contribution and the contribution of your team at Seaboard that have laid the foundation of knowledge and continue to do so. I firmly believe that all of us here have the opportunity if not the obligation to build upon that by sharing our experiences, helping others as we go. All the while the ultimate goal is for everyone to operate their equipment as efficiently and as reliably as possible. There is no pressure to spend money, and certainly not at any one place – ultimately any money spend (wherever) only saves money in the long term.

Itā€™s that kind of sharing that creates the makes this site prosper, so thank you Tony!

Phil

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

James,

Totally appreciate your post and it requires a response.. so here goes:

At least from my perspective (although I hope we amass plenty more), the only answer I have is this:

I took on Boatdiesel close to 19 yrs ago because the real idea was to share all that could be shared so all could learn and benefit from our contributions… At that time this was a unique idea for Marine diesel ā€œbuffsā€ re: high performance engines in this size range. Both Peter and I figured that this was the way to go and from that, things would grow from there… I must admit that 100%, BD was Peterā€™s idea andā€¦ how we both moved forward evolved from there……. In the following 18+ yrs or so, things went as planned… The more I gave (for free) his membership & advertising revenues grew and without a doubt, our business grew too. What I added to BD with ā€œone-on-oneā€ postings (1000ā€™s+++) and articles helped us financially and our business grew with that… Basically, I saw it like this, the more I shared, the more things came back to us and Peter IN KIND… Plus, as benefit to all, many other very experienced people saw the same thingā€”Share the experiences & knowledge, donā€™t put a $$$ on it, and eventually it will all come back as dividends. IMO, thereā€™s no better business modelā€¦

About 2 years ago, Peter decided to put a tangible cost on what I had always had and wanted to share for free… Somehow, that did not work for himā€¦

So where are we now today————————-We are exactly where I was 18+ years agoā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.Share all you can (for free) try your best to do it a public forum so others can do the same and share their experiences regardless if they were right or wrong or if they agree or notā€¦ and letā€™s ALL see where it fits into place.

I do not think this access to knowledge and social cooperation requires advertising or membership costs… Itā€™s all about sharing knowledge & experiences and the final chips will all end up respectively laying as they do. At the end of the day, although the forum participation does probably lead to $$$, I assure you the core motive is not fiscal, but rather a true focus on educating others in this niche community to the shortest path to ā€œbest practiceā€.

At least that is the way I see itā€¦..

Tony

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.