• Creator
    Topic

matizado02
    Participant

Hi all,

This weekend the starboard engine of my boat (Cummins 6bta 5.9) it took a while to start. I had to put the thorttle at full speed until finally fired it up. I inspected the engine to see the route of the problem and I noticed that one of the injector pump was leaking a bit that is why it need an extra help to start by means of priming fuel. The engine runs great the dripping is there and once stop for a while the hard staert comes back again. See the pictures.

I was planing to unbolt that specific line and unbolt the two bolts of the actual injector and then replace I guess the O ring behind. 

My question is if this is a straight forward process as described or this is a more sophisticated process that implies the removal of the full injector pump box and/or further calibrations/adjustments are required.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

J

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

matizado02
    Participant

Ok, will do.

Thanks for all the good advise.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Nippon Denso EP9 Injection Pump

I do not believe this type of  “timing” can be done in the field.. I’d hook up with a local ND EP9 qualitied injector pump shop and pick their brain.

matizado02
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your respond.

It is coming from those timing nuts.

Summing up I should not touch anything myself and bring a qualified mechanic to dissamble the whole thing, calibrate  and fix the leak.

J Dragon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dragon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 315hp

IMO, clean if all up and watch 

I have same pump and have a modest weep (doesn’t affect idle or WOT) and it is not at those timing nuts as I first thought…it’s from the flare fittings at the line to pump connection and the delivery valve holders themselves.

Maybe try seating/reseating those items after you identify if that’s the leak source.

Tony Athens

Count yours————————Don’t assume..  Yes you could have 6 sides but many have 5 sides as it supposed to make average Joe mechanic “wonder”………………. The point I was trying to make was not  to touch them as the timing is very critical– I guess you could try. Make all very accurately

matizado02
    Participant

Indeed 6.

Tony Athens

Hex Nuts have 6 sides——Count the sides on your “nuts”.. 

matizado02
    Participant

Many thanks for you reply as always.

I see nothing strange but the constant dripping when I start the engine. I did a 8 hour trip (150 miles) back home and the engine ran smooth without a problem. The two nuts lost the paint because my first attempt was to tight them up but they were firmely tight.

I herewith send other picture.

One thing that I noticed when the “hard” start is some black chunks comming out of the exhaust. See the attached picture. I guess this is not related.

Again many thanks for all your advice.

J

Tony Athens

Look very closely at those two nuts holding the delivery valve plungers in place?  Look really close and tell me what to see?   Anything odd?  IMO, Don’t touch anything until you respond.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.