• Creator
    Topic

dwitte58
    Participant

My, new to me, boat is a year 2000 and the engines have about 750 hours on them.  They idle around 500 RPM in neutral.  When shifted into reverse, the idle speed drops down to 430-450 RPM and one or the other engines have died during docking.

I have looked around, but been unable to find, what the proper idle speed setting should be and whether that speed should be with the transmissions engaged or in neutral.  Can anyone give me a little advise please? Thanks!

Blue Skies,

Dave

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

We have 6CTA 8.3 M4’s and they idle around 590 and are rough when shifting.  So I have yet to figure out how to adjust the idle up so what I do is fire the engines and use the throttle sticks to set the rpm to 650 on both and they shift smoothly and that gives good thrust around the dock without being “jerky”.  We are a 2005 Sea Ray 460 Dancer and we are some where in the 34K range for weight/displacement.  Also we have 250watt Wolverine oil pan heaters to keep them warm in between use.  Helps them start better(less smoke).

We do have separate shift and throttle sticks so I can set the rpm with the throttles and then just shift and move the boat as I need it with the gears.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.