• Creator
    Topic

Paul Greenhalgh
    Participant
    Vessel Name: ADELAIDE
    Engines: QSB6.7 480

I change my coolant every 4 years. I know this is over-kill but it works in with my program of dis-mounting HX’s and after-coolers, etc for off-engine servicing and a bunch of other stuff I do at the 4-year mark. I have previously used RESTORE (alternately, RESTORE PLUS) to flush the system before re-filling with new coolant. I’m now persuaded this is a waste of $$ and time….particularly time, as I have to flush repeatedly to get rid of the RESTORE and get back to clean water.

So now to my question: I understand that it is possible to just use a garden hose to flush out the system, without having to run the whole engine up to operating temps, dump, repeat, dump, repeat….is this true? All I’m trying to do is remove a little sediment left behind after I’ve dumped the old coolant. I have a hose tap in my engine room so this would be very practical for me if it is possible. Does the t/stat have to be removed….or can I connect the garden hose to a port and get 80%+ of the system flushed out? HX’s are off the engines at this point. (6BTA 370’s)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Sounds good and yes the 180’s are the right tstats for your application. Just as in setting up a f/w flush of the raw water side there’s no real right or wrong, just connect up top and drain & collect down low…. try to contain your flush water in something like a clean spackle bucket so you can see the effect of running the flush water through.

Paul Greenhalgh
    Participant

Rob I operate my 66,000 lb 57′ motor yacht almost entirely in displacement mode…. running typically at just 1800rpm; i take her up to 2000 + for 10min at end of most cruises because Tony told me to years ago. I change out standard 180 t/stats every 4 years and they are “due” again this year so yes I’ll be doing that.

Given H X’s are already off, where’s the best place to connect the hose?

Tks

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Ok then a low psi garden hose flush and then you may wish to fill and idle her on distilled water and then drain and refill with 50/50. Are you running 180 tstats or the SMX 160’s? Do you run on plane? Would be an ideal time to change out the tstats…

Paul Greenhalgh
    Participant

I’m only seeing a little sludge or “mud” Rob….but it wouldn’t feel right to me to just drain the old coolant & immediately refill with new. I drained the old coolant cold, as I wanted to take the exhaust risers & HX’s etc off the engine & bring them home to work on all on the one visit to the boat. Surely a fresh water flush couldn’t hurt before I put new coolant in ….I’m thinking it must be possible to do this to the block while I have everything off?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Are you actually seeing something in the coolant that you wish to address by flushing or are you just being proactive? If coolant drains clean just refill via proper procedure.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.