• Creator
    Topic

lou jones
    Participant
    Vessel Name: world hq ii
    Engines: cummins 6cta8.3

Exiting a lock the other day, port motor died. 6CTA M2 ‘97 vintage. On engine filter was almost empty and Racor filter was very low. Changed primary and on engine filters, pumped up the system, engine started up and purred as usual for a couple minutes and died again. How do I test for fuel pressure at the injector pump? 

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

lpmcc
    Participant

Be sure your fuel valves are 100% opened…..don’t ask me how I know……

1 user thanked author for this post.

lou jones
    Participant

Tony, the squeeze bulb you mention, would that work in the same way as the plunger on the lift pump? Do you sell those bulbs?

lou jones
    Participant

Thanks Tony, yeah the port motor fuel system isn’t the easiest to get to on my boat. I’ll change fuel lines and inspect pickup tube and then move forward of the lift pump if that doesn’t correct the issue. 

lou jones
    Participant

Air leak

Thanks for the reply. Fuel lines look original. A dock neighbor suggested replacing lines so I will do that. The lift pump was replaced 3 years ago and and the plunger firms up so I was hoping for an issue somewhere between there and the tank. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

On the surface it does sound like you are “sucking air” (post before) ..

I do not have a lot of good pics of the older M2 with the EP9 fuel system. Not an easy system to deal with. But for the long term, IMO, the picture shows the best place to test for fuel inlet to the injection lift pump fuel pressure. 

A “squeeze” bulb added t0  your fuel supply,   set up right,  can make life easy when sorting out fuel supply issues.

The lift pump on your engine and the location of the on-engine fuel filter could totally frustate most anyone trying to deal with them

pwrobert
    Participant

Sounds like a restriction or air leak in the fuel lines somewhere. <br />possibly before the Racor since it goes dry as well. <br />start with the fuel pickup and check all hoses and fittings. How old are the hoses. <br />I know of a person who was going cr

azy and finally pulled out his fuel pickup tube to find a pinhole in the tube that was letting in air. <br />can put a clear vinyl tube segment in the setup between points to find where their is first getting in to the lines. Then go backward from there. 

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.