• Creator
    Topic

Ray Isaac
    Participant
    Vessel Name: RaySea Girl III
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Good Evening, I’m having an issue with my 2005 Cummins 480CE producing a sheen on the water that I believe is excess fuel on my port motor. This just started a few weeks ago and doesn’t dissipate when warmed up. Last year I had all the injectors replaced along with the heads, aftercoolers, and the turbos this year along with servicing the Raycors. My mechanic diagnosed a faulty injector on the number #1 cylinder (it was carboned up), and we replaced that (thanks to Seaboard Marine for getting me one quickly), but the problem still exists. My mechanic is going to pull the rest of the injectors to check them but I’m wondering if there’s somewhere we should look so we are not chasing ghosts? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ray Isaac
    Participant

Update 7-25-23

We found a second bad injector last week (dribbling fuel and not performing on the bench test) and we replaced that one as well. My mechanic and I felt for sure that this would correct the issue but the port motor was still showing fuel in the exhaust water. I checked the fuel and transmission gear coolers yesterday and they are solid (I disconnected them and the sheen is still there). We are at a loss to figure out what else could be causing the fuel in the water issue, other than another bad injector or 2, which we can’t rule out given the failure rate of the other year-old ones.

Could the injector pump be the issue? What else could be causing this?

Here is a picture of what we’re experiencing;

Ray Isaac
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Rob. We did consider that but the level hasn’t changed. We are also going to check the fuel cooler as well, but from what we’re seeing it doesn’t seem to be that either. We’ll be checking the cooler as part of our diagnosis. 

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Have you ruled out the gear oil cooler?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.