• Creator
    Topic

jrwilkins3
    Participant

For marine applications is an FS1280 fuel filter (with drain) preferred over the FF5285 (without drain)?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Basically, you have a single Racor 500 FG before your engine They are in parallel, not in series. Dual just means if one clogs, you can switch over..

Adequate in a marine environment with an engine that circulates 1 GPM of fuel??’

Not even close in my 30+’s years of experience.Ā  Maybe for your generator?.Ā 

My thoughts on fuel filtration is documented all over this web site and others..Ā 

jrwilkins3
    Participant

Tony, thanks for the reply.Ā  To be more specific, I’ve got dual Racor 75500Max filters with 30 micron elements as primaries followed by FF5285 secondaries on both 5.9 6BTA (370 hp) main engines.Ā  Bought the boat last May and was told by the certified Cummins engine surveyor (30 years previous Cummins employee field tech) the Racors are probably a bit undersized for these engines, but once I got them cleaned out (after purchase) and with new elements they only indicate about 5ā€ to 7ā€ max vacuum after 230 hours of operation (and several fuel tank refills).

Since you suggested the FS1280 (with drain) may be preferable to the FF5285 (without the drain), it raises 2 more questions:

• Is the FS1280 drain principally for water collection / draining as a backup to the Racors, or does it also drain / indicate presence of other contaminants / muck in the fuelā€¦or both? Bottom line:Ā  Why was this filter designed with a drain when most other secondaries donā€™t have one?
    • If no other indications of fuel related challenges, how often would you suggest opening the FS1280 drains to check for anything other than good fuel?

This is the first large boat Iā€™ve owned, and I am reading through all the material I can find on your website (thanks for compiling so much!), and want to do my best to maintain good maintenance routines and practices.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

PREFERRED?– That is a subjective question,Ā  but IMO,Ā  it depends what you have BEFORE the engine as to Primary filtration…Ā  If a single Racor orĀ  ?, I’d use the one with the drain..Ā 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.